DIY: Bodywork

So im going to be doing bodywork on this car to im picking up soon, I will also be doing the paint myself. as this is my 12 car sprayed, 3 which have been my own. First off i’ve done plenty of bodywork on my own so i’m not worried at all how its going to come out…

One major tool i am looking for Is a unispotter. I rather rent one if possible. since im only going to use it once.

Paint supply store. Obvious Reason, plus supplys.

Booth rentals. But that’s not til later on down the road.

Last Car I built and sprayed for my Shop Car

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3127/2496393813_c68dc05e5c_z.jpg

Spoon Blueprinted and Balanced. Bay was not sprayed
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3278/2496393803_214f7c5ce6_z.jpg

Sweet!! Let me know when your ready to step up your paint gun game and save some money on materials in the process.

I’ve always dealt with Saratoga Autobody supply for the minor things I’ve used in the past. Guys there have always been great to me. Kind of a hike for most in the area(they’re off exit 87 exit 15)

Car was sprayed with a HVLP gun. cant remember what brand it was all i know it was $900+Gun borrowed it when i work for PPG Aerospace. But im trying to stay in the 300 range for a gun since it will sit most of the time after i paint and have it cleaned. Car looks shitty because it was dusty. it sat inside the shop most of the time

Not to far from me… i’ll have to go up there one weekend

i never sprayed a car but im good with cans man i shaved and painted my accord by myself ill try to get some pics

:pop

i have a buddy at work that has done some diy body work and painting. came out surprisingly well in my opinion.

every time i bring up spraying my own car people tell me i am crazy and you need some kind of hermatically seal room to control dust or something i guess. this is not true?

hahaha freaking mike

depends how you want your car to look and in your paint. I honestly sprayed that car in my garage.. i also clean the shit out of it before spraying.. Car barely had dust in the the clear since i kept the floor wet the whole time thru the process along with other things i did to the garage. The hood got all the dust for some reason. No where else, didn't care since the hood was being swapped for a j's racing hood.. Booths are nice to spray in since there fully lighted, ventilated, etc. since i don't have a garage anymore. i have to get a booth

Ive seen people do budget spray car jobs. some are ok but you can still tell its a spray can

I’ve been trying to pick up as much as I can at work, everything from the guy who works the frame machine, body work, painting and detailing. Can always learn something new.

With that being said, body work fucking sucks on a daily basis

FCUKJDM check your pm’s

A good buffer can make a shitty painter look like Picasso!

Even in booths can get dusts in the paint. Depending on the color of the base, if you get dirts in the basecoat 99% of the time you will never see them. But base dries in seconds so the likelihood of dusts hitting the car as its wet is low. If they are in the clear which takes 8-12 mins between coats (depends on alot of things) to tack up (not dry or flash over like base) dirts have all the time in the world to settle on there while its wet for them to stick to. Bury the dirts in clear, so you have enough later on to cut down the fish eye enough to not look like a horseshoe and totally go away. Then its up to haveing enough clear left to buff without burning through.

Booths are very minimal but not 100$ dust proof.i did 3 basecoats. 3 coats of clear and 1 UV clear. California sun is rough on black cars any car really. All PPG product…Had little to no orange peel. a month later Cut & Buffed. Tracked at willow springs a few times and Killer canyon car