Paging paint guys

Never really did much painting in the past, so i figured id ask, i wanted to get rid of all the scratches on my car that seem to build up more and more everyday, how in depth would this be? Easy enough as a light respray? Im trying to stay on a budget so any help would be great

Edit: my back bumper has a little bit of spider cracking on the paint when i bought it

read my DIY about the wheel refinishing and paint work.

Unless the scratches are just clear coat deep and can be wetsanded and buffed out its not just a “light respray” thing.

The spiderweb on the bumper was from someone hitting it or backing into something. The primer/base has come off the bumper itself… that needs to be addressed aka sanded and fully repaired.

Also you cant just address spots here and there, blending it is a pain in the ass and might look like camoflage when your done. not to mention the entire panel needs to be recleared or spotted in and wetsanded and buffed so you dont see the transition lines from new clear to old clear.

What is the car? What color? any pics? Best bet might honestly be a full respray. to have it done legit.

Paint work is an all or nothing deal. not much wiggle room in between.

I couldn’t disagree with you more.

as far as a respray.

clean the entire car.

dry it.

use wax/grease remover like I explain in the DIY. THEN wetsand/scuff/repair the entire surface to be painted. (never just start wetsanding, always use surface prep first to remove old wax and what ever, if not all you are ding is driving the wax into the surface as you sand it).

mask it off

primer/sealer

high build primer

block sand primer

base

clear

wet sand clear

buff clear

done

$700+ in materials

MANY hours.

what do you mean?

Yeah man ill take a look at the thread, but thats what i was aiming for to fully repaint it, but maybe i can have someone or you take a look at it one of these days, because some of the scratches are reallllly light, but theres a few that might be too deep

Started reading some of your thread, really good info man!

I am pressed for time this month and next. aka I have none. but come July… KK will be in full swing. 1 or 2 locations running actually. :ninja

Sweet man! Ill have to keep in touch! Im not in a huuuge rush but id like to see what i can do for sure

Right, because color sanding metallic paint and re-clearing random touch ups would be clutch.

Get the fuck out of here.

You can do partial respray and have it come out good and match exactly. key is to have them go out with the paint camera and differnt variation paint cards to make sure it matches sunfade and all that

Key is to stop being a chode.

Right, it works so perfectly. That’s why there’s about 320853028549032543908542095843953485 mistints on the fuckin bargain rack at every auto body supply store (and home improvement store for that matter).

So slap an expensive camera on a few spots, get the ave color and mix what it says to? Then what, airbrush the scratch out?

nope

Is that why when a metalic color’d car gets a fender bender where only say a front fender is damaged, they paint 2/3 of the way down the side of the car?

He said there are multiple scratches all over it and a rear bumper that needs a full respray. If he has a scratch on the front left fender, drivers door, rear bumper, rock chip on the hood, and a ding on the pass side rear door. you are effectively respraying the entire car (minus the roof i guess)

what if the color is a tri coat base? good fucking luck spotting that in.

Blending paint is a royal pain in the ass. There is a reason professional body shops charge 100+hr labor. and honestly a job he is looking at, from a professional shop on an S4, metallic paint, probably a tri coat… would cost half as much as the KBB for the car in great condition!

sun fade has very little to do with it. UV rays fade the clear coat, not so much the color. Its not like it was from AZ or Mexico. even if you were to find a color match, blend it nicely, reclear the entire panel, you would be cutting and buffing the entire car to match the clear so it didnt look like you had a brand new fender on it. multiply that by 5 because there are defects all over the car… your doing a full respray.

Buy me a 12 pack and a couple can’s of duplicolor and we got this

:lol you pretty much hit it on the spot, haha minus a ding on the passenger door! my front bumper has a small dent/scratch on the bottom corner too

Proper paint work is all or nothing. 110% clean parts. 110% clean environment. 110% proper materials 110% proper skills. Any less than 100% on any of those steps and kiss the hours labor and materials cost good by.

Maaco VS Charlie Hutton. One charges $800 for a paint job. Other chargers $80,000.

Mike is also a psychic.

:facepalm

Not what i said at all

yes it was.

go out with camera and paint chips. Mix paint as per camera and paint chips and … well thats where you left off.

i filled in the rest. unless I missed something?

Not even worth trying to explain. YOU KNOW ALL!

I guess my 7 years working in a bodyshop means nothing…