Anybody want to earn some $$ and spray my car?

Looking for somebody who has painting experience and is willing to respray my m3…

Just looking to respray basically the entire thing to take care of all the rock chips…

main areas in need of help are the whole front end, and rear leading edge of the wheel arches… all really nailed with rock chips…

anybody have access to a booth and willing to do some side work?

easier said than done if you want the least bit of a quality job… more times than not, esp with a black car, it will come out worse than before if it’s a cheapy job… fwiw

im not looking for somebody to practice on my car… just looking for somebody who perhaps WORKS at an autobody shop and getting paid by the hour who would like to get a lot more for the same type of work by doing this on the side…

:fail: any think cheaper then 5k will be useless.

your looking at AT LEAST 1g for quality paint and clear …

thats just material …

just take it somewhere like Franks autobody on ramsdell,englewood collision,

or sand it down and do it yourself. save the money and learn a new skill

Dont let the guy who says anythink do it.

How much are you looking to spend? just wondering what you budgeted for this?

1-2k …

its mainly just the bumper/hood/front fenders and rear 1/4 panels…

i would even be willing to do all the prep work (ie take the panels off if the painter preffered) and do the prep sanding

if your doing that many panels your better off getting a full respray so everything matches

with chips etc in the paint the panel will need a decent amount of work to be sanded flat/smooth

honestly if you want a quality job id say 2500-3000 minimum or else your better off keeping it as it is

so your looking at pulling all the lights out, remove the hood, remove the front bumper, pull the mirrors, window trim, break down the front bumper, door handles, side skirts, trunk lid, rear bumper,wheels have to come off and car put on stands…

is there a way to break off the roof or are you going to have to blend out the c pillar ?

I know of a guy who does some outstanding work, i’ll run it by him. What type of bodywork does the car need? What color? I’m assuming black.

you would leave the hood on to blend with the fenders. and the wheels dont have to come off (but since the roof isnt getting painted it would be easier/cleaner to get it off the ground). headlights would stay, just the side markers would come out. the roof has its own trim and can easily be removed to tape off the roof.

the whole car can be taken apart for a complete paint job in 3 hours :slight_smile: I have disassembled many a 3 series. (mercedes are easier, btw)

ugh, its been a while. I miss working on european cars

When I painted my mustang, I did all the prep work and set everything up. Guy came in and sprayed it for $500.

so if you didnt scuff it enough somewhere and the shitty paint job comes back on that guy. idk about that

i put ALOT of hours into my paint job with scuffing and removal of trim and lights and stuff. I ended up paying almost $2500.00 and i no longer talk to the guy who was a royal douche bag. and now i have certain spots that are starting to show up. The paint looks good but its just an example of the quality you get for the price range. I almost wish i had a spot/place to paint myself so atleast id have myself to blaim for shitty work.

PM me sir

please tell me it was your car at johns when i saw it there all apart.

That guy can be a little… odd he took like over a year to give me money from that black e34 i helped him put together. and i was ready to finish it and he said he didnt have enough time to it sat… and sat… and now the interior is trash because he had the sunroof open over winter

If you prep it wrong… as in embed oils from your skin or any residue residue in the filler or sanded base paint then it doesnt matter how well the paint is laid down… it will have problems.

Prep is 70% of a paint job. It has to be perfectly clean.
If the paint blisters then it is easy to blame the painter even tho the mistake may be on the person who prepared the car.

uh, I just got sick of his shit and his non stop excuses. He would work on my car and 3 others at the same time then tell me he had 8hrs into it that day. I got sick of his bullshit and grew very unpatient after it took 3months. Needless to say we no longer talk. There are some things extremely hacked and other things done nice. I put ALOT of hours there into my own car and i just had enough. It was getting way to hard to be nice to him. Unfortunatly i had to get the police involved then all of a sudden my car got finished. I have to work with him everyday and we havnt spoken a word since i got my car back that saturday night.

FWIW, I was talking to this guy who painted his Chevelle SS in his garage. His Chevelle won “Best of Show” at a National Chevelle show. This guy is NOT a professional painter either. I asked him how he did it in great detail, and he told me that the paint part was super easy. It’s all of the stuff that he did AFTER the paint that was hard. For example he showed me the underside of the trunk, and it had the typical orange peel. He said that the entire car looked just like that when he was done painting it. But he spent about 6-8 hours on each panel very carefully wet-sanding and rubbing it out to a flawless finish. It took him weeks to do this, but the results speak for themselves. Here is a pic:

This pic is from the Southgate show, where he was in class one for previous show winners.