DIY "Racing" chair

If your computer is just too fast, you may want to consider this to keep you planted.

When I was browsing around for seats, I came across this seat from automotive warehouse in canada, and they were just clearing them out for $40!

I’d never put it in my car but said fuck it, it’ll make a good office chair. so i picked it up.

So first I measured all the holes on the bottom of the chair, and likewise on the mounting plate that holds the normal chair on a $20 walmart roller.

If my computer wasn’t being gay I’d take a screen shot of the solidworks drawing, but the actual part will do.

Did the part in SW, programmed the Turret at work, punched her out of 12ga steel and put her through for powdercoat in dark gray. (I’m very happy to have access to all this equipment…)

then from there is was simply nuts and bolts…

on the rollers

finished product

Cost:
walmart chair that i’ve been using for 4 years - $20
“Racing” seat - $40
12ga steel - free, took it from scrap pieces at work
powdercoat - free, again at work

total - $60.

And while the adapter plate does flex slightly with my weight on it, it doesn’t bottom out and is doing quite well. I planned on it flexing a bit, and it’s not a problem at all. even with the narrowed corners.

wheres the 3 point harness?

Any issues tipping when you sit back? Looks a bit top heavy in the pictures, but I could be mistaken. Pretty cool though, you should get a cheap 3 point harness in red just to be cheesy.

nice, you should double up the plates to take the flex out.

Nope not at all. I took a good guess as to the hole locations to try and balance it out properly.

I do have an extra plate, so we’ll see if it becomes a problem, but for now it’s ok.

EDIT - and just to be a dork for you guys…

nice :tup:

that must be the “two girls one cup harness”. haha

Dan

wow. 12 ga? doubling them up won’t be nearly as strong as one piece of 10 ga.

Can you make me one? I have a coworker I’d like to strap into a chair like this and drag behind my GTO up and down the 990.

very true, but, free metal is free metal. We don’t use 10ga on anything.

haha, I do have an extra piece…

and everything i make is overbuilt because we rarely use less than 10ga. :stuck_out_tongue:

haha. I’d rather that obviously. Better safe than sorry…

:tspry:i absolutely need one of those for my office. I may get funny looks when we hold meeting and I’m strapped down into my chair because my computer is too fast.

I’ve been talking about doing this for years, but I haven’t found the right junkyard seat that with the right comfort, size, and adjustability. That seems like a better option. Nice work.

very cool :tup:

so have you sexed in it yet? that is the true test.

link for a 40 seat?

ill make one now if i can get the seat at that price

They were just clearing out old seats they had. I stumbled on them when they listed them on ebay. I got the second to last one.

I’m sure there’s 10 ga. somewhere in that shop…not sure they would enjoy punching it as a favor for someone though. I had no idea you were doing this, fuck, it makes me wish I were in the middle of some sort of project.