DIY: short shifter

ok i found this on a 3000gt forum, DSM’s have the same setup and this should helpout anyone else with a cable type linkage…
Alright, I figured out a way to make the existing shifter’s throw considerably shorter for the cost of a few nuts and bolts. Preliminary tests seem to indicate that it works great. Its very easy to do, cheap, and fully reversible. You can even decide how much shorter you want the throw to be.
Basically, I realized that by shortening the lever arm for the tranny side of the shifter, you can do the same work with less movement, so all you have to do is move the cable mounting points. The first picture shows pretty clearly both of the new, completed mounting points. The second shows where you should put the new mount for a 50% reduction in throw. Move it farther out for less of a reduction, move it in for more of a reduction (I would NOT recommend going more than 50%). On my 5 speed shifter arm there was actually a crease right at 50%, so I drilled there. The last picture shows the other arm with the new point point. You can see its just a regular bolt (I used M8x30 bolts) with a jamb nut holding it onto the arm. Use lock nuts on the end so they don’t get vibrated off. Total Cost: $3.45 if you reduce the throw both ways.

Also, in case you were wondering, I drilled the front/back arm while it was in the car, as I couldn’t figure out how to remove it. I drilled the other arm removed. All of this stuff happened right above the tranny. Remove the MAS/air filter, and intake pipe, and move the Y-pipe out of the way. I also removed the front turbo inlet pipe and the left hose that goes into the y pipe. Then you should have enough space to work.

Observations/recommendations: I tried reducing the side to side throw (by 50% as well), and I did not like it. It makes the gears so close together that I’d be afraid of hitting the wrong one at high speed. I put it back to stock, but it feels like it might benefit from a slight reduction, possibly one third less distance (the total distance is about 3", so move the mount down 1" for that). It is way easier to not even worry about the side to side throw, because then you don’t have to remove any of the shifter parts from the car (that arm in the last picture is kind of a pain in the ass to get back in…).
For the front/back throw, I’d try reducing it by less… maybe 40% instead of 50%. Doing that would require drilling above the crease, which would mean drilling on a slight slope, so it will make it a bit more difficult, but I think it would be worth it. 50% is a lot, and it makes shifting noticably harder. It also feels like its slower to shift, I’m not sure about that though. My tranny isn’t in the best shape, so that could be part of the problem. I’m sure after driving it for a while I will like it a lot, its just very different.

Also, there is a cable stay that holds the front to back cable in place; it should probably be bent slightly to keep the cable pointed straight. I didn’t do that, but I should.

It does feel extremely crisp and nice though, so that is one plus. All of the inherent play in the cables has been reduced by 50% as well, so that’s a good thing.

http://digitalsantacruz.com/images/Short%20shifter.jpg
http://digitalsantacruz.com/images/Short%20shifter%203.jpg

I see the reduction in movement/overall throw, but wouldnt this also have less leverage causing much more effort needed to shift? I dont think I will be performing this mod anytime soon imho.

ur doing the same thing as with a short shifter, short shifters u lose leverage too cuz teh pivot is up higher, so ur gonna get the same feeling from it, ur just losing it at different spots either in the car on the shifter or at teh tranny

I have had short shifts on other cars and I dont think I will be buying another one again. If this requires more effort I wouldnt want it on my evo, its harsh enough already. Furthermore when I had the short shift on my last car I seemed to rush the shifts even more and was more prone to grinding the syncros, especially at the track or form 1-2 shifts. Just my experience, it dont mean shit. :lol:

yea i know what u mean, thats just the nature of it, i havent performed this on my car, i actually bought a short shifter and found this after, its just a cheap alternative that i wouldnt expect an evo owner to do , its a hack job cut and dry and if i owned an evo i definetly wouldnt do it, but if u drive a 1g eclipse ur not gonna fork out $150 to have a shorter throw

a shorter throw like this will naturally work the synchros harder. short shift = faster shift, and something has to take the brunt. at least from what i understand. when i had my trans rebuilt, the warranty states that i cannot use a shifter with a reduction > 40%

gotta be careful with shifts unless you have a piggy bank labaled “trans fund”

ditto, the .0001 sec you save shifting isnt worth the cost of a rebuilding the trans… at least not in a daily, but i guess for someone looking to get that last tenth to get into the 11s, then i can dig it.

what i did on my car i know isnt a true short shifter, but all i did was trim down the shifter handle itself and put an aftermarket universal knob on it, that way its not more effort/wear on the tranny but i dont have to move my arm/hand as far in any direction to make the shift.

You should try driving my EVO, as I have the Kartboy short shifter with
the bushings/base bushings, and my new titanium knob…

I think after you drive it, it will change your mind…

i like the short shifter boosted3g has on his car, its just right, its a short shifter, but has a tall knob on it out of my 240, i wouldnt want it any shorter or taller …

where is fastandcheap with his DIY long throw? :stuck_out_tongue:

im with newman, i wanna extend the shifter on the xterra like another foot n a half and get a skull shift knob. It would be sick

You want it… i just needed a request! i am going to be getting it podwercoated. then i will post the pics.

thanks for the call out-newman.

the Short shift kit I had on the K20 swap was awesome…but that was also an entire assembly replacement, so the shift effort was the same as stock just shorter than an S2000

I did the Kartboy bushings also, and added the Greddy counter weight knob, seems decent, impoved for sure, but hopefully putting in some BG syncroshift when I do the fluids this month will help the 1-2 shifts a little :eyebrow:
I have the clutch line and I think I am going to drill out the restrictor a little bit more vs. removing it completely… <–Your thoughts or experieces on this?

i bought those shifter base bushings and the ones under the hood that are supposed to take up teh slop in the dsm style shifters, i’ll let u guys know how that goes

that seems like a good idea, the only question that I have… do the cable interfere with each other? they seem to be very close.

alot of 3000gt owners have done it with no interference, the only thing is the bracket that holds the cable tneeds to be bent slightly to keept he cable at 90 degrees