Short Shifter Question

I need a short shifter but would it be easier to cut the stock one down and tap the top so i can screw the knob back on?? Or is there some mechanical diff. besides the length of the shifter arm?

a true “short shifter” reduces the length of the throw by changing the geometry of the lever through the pivot point. so eventhough cutting the shifter would effectivly shorten the throw by shortening the distance the lever has to travel. the pivot remains unchanged and so the percentage you’ve shortened the throw is minimal. so a short shifter kit is much more than just a shortened shifter. and by changing the geometry of the pivot it takes more energy to move the lever so if the kit doesnt come weighted your gunna need a weighted shift knob.

thank you d3x

don’t do it…you’ll regret it…

Essentially cutting and retapping would give shorter throw… but as been said… the true short throw changes the distance from the pivot down to where the shifter cable attaches. Increasing the effort required to shift.

You could also shorten the lever at the transmission where the shifter cable ties into. Not sure how the shifter arm on the tranny is in a celica, but Ive seen em done before where you just drill a hole furter down the shifter arm on the tranny… again increasing the shifter effort by reducing the torque arm of the lever.

large amounts of work over a shorter distance = less amounts of work over a longer distance.

This proving we did not break any laws of physics.

Shifting faster on a stock tranny only leads to grinding gears.

so does that mean before i get a short shifter on my tib. i gotta upgrade the transmission first?

No, it just means be careful. Don’t do a short shifter if all you want to do is shift faster.

so whats the point of having one if i dont’ get it to just shift faster?

goodbye syncros :’(

just dont slam ur car into gear daily when driving. realize if u launch the car and slam it into gear really fast u are going to do some slight damage to ur tranny here and there

yeah i don’t do launches yet…my car aint that good…yet…but yeah short shifter good idea tahnsk all yall

if short shifters are so bad for your tranny then why does subaru offer it as an accessory and still covers your tranny under warranty??? :gotme:

It’s not the shifter that’s a bad idea - rather what’s behind the wheel that can cause a problem.

Quality short shifter = good (expensive), ebay short shifter = very bad.

even if its the driver wouldnt subaru still not cover it if it was so bad? now i’m not saying its perfectly good for your car but if you know how to drive your car and your not bangin gears like a cheap whore then you should be fine