Short Shifter Vs Stock

Hi guys, I’ve been running my megan short shifter ever since I did the auto to manual swap on my s14. The reason was because the stock shifter left very little room or it was actually bumping into my deck when shifting thru 1-3-5. When driving hard, I"ve always had a little trouble getting her into 3rd and 5th. I was just wondering how many of you guys are running short throw shifters or do you recommend keeping the stock one? I just did a ka-t and it sucks killing 1st to 2nd then babying it into 3rd and even sometimes into 4th.

Meh its preference…

I have new oem bushing + megan v2 shifter + rtm racing’s heavy metal knob = I like it.

I have a lightweight flywheel/clutch/pressure plate… so its rev happy and I like to shift through it quickly with little effort just notch basically… works for me, on track obviously its joy… I would never go back to stock no way. Others on the other hand hate the flicking/notch movement and would rather enjoy the long throws. I used to enjoy the long throws when I was newb with shifter but can’t stand it anymore. I like the short flicks.

Only prob I felt was getting into 5th… I mean its done easily when you get used to it but in the beginning has this awkward feel to it…

I have a Tomei one and have had no problems at all. But it’s always a good idea to change the pilot bushing or whatever people call it (hard plastic piece that goes on the very bottom of the shifter pivot) once a year depending on how much you drive. And make sure to get an OEM Nissan one, it should cost about $3 - 5 max.

I’ve had B&M on the 240 and on the Maxima.
Night and day on the Max…one of the best “driver feel” mods I could have possibly done.
I’ve never felt stock on the 240, but I love the B&M once again.

They’re quality pieces, and IMO worth the price.

b & m ftw stock shifter versus a that is ridiculous…ive used megan also and the difference from megan is huge also…it makes for a very nice tight box…and are u having trouble actually finding the gear? or is it grinding when you go in…i know in my tranny third is a little rough if you try to power shift it so i just go easy on that one…could just be your tranny

Bings V3 with OEM shifter Bushing, Haven’t put a lot of driving time in but it feels great, no rattles, but takes some getting used to coming for stock. I have no problems with going into any gears.

Your fist was banging into the deck?? Did you install the shifter backwards?? It can go in both ways. Rotate it 180. Unless you have Hulk fists?

Ive got the bing’s short shifter on my car, and i got no problems. Thing is flawless, love it!

And yes, you might have installed your shifter in reverse, normally you shouldn’t have that interference with stock shifter.

Tomei short shifter fucking amazing never felt a better short shifter to date not too stiff not to smooth just perfect … never will go back to stock

XD LOL! i had a good laugh when i read that =D

LOL, no…I’m saying that the stock one would bump into my deck. I got an older pioneer flip screen deck and that protrudes quite a bit as well. I might look into changing the bushing at the bottom of the shifter. And yes, when I try to powershift into 3rd I grind a little too often. I might be paranoid of throwing it back into first and im shifting on too much of a diagonal from 2nd to 3rd. Thanks for the replies though, I thought there would be more out there that tend to grind a few gears with their short shifter but it might just be my bushing or even the syncros.