short shifter question

Will a short shifter cause damage to synconizers, clutch or release bearing when installed and driven properly???

no.

i have a bings short shifter, i highly recommend getting one, shifts feel so much better with one.

The only damamge possible will be cause by user fault. Ie: you do something bad.

I’ve got a B&M and it doesn’t like going into third. it just takes a little more force than I’m used to. make sure your clutch is bled and functions correctly to prevent any synchro issues and you will be fine.

I heard that it’s better to change the shifter bushing (the white plastic nub at the end of the shifter going into the gearbox) to the OEM one because it could break?
Not sure if you guys have this problem with the B&M, but at around 3500 rpm the shifter starts vibrating and rattling…anyone else have this problem?

Are you sure you guys have a real B&M or is it a Bing&M? I know a friend of mine who has a real B&M and it’s NOTHING like you guys say it is, his doesn’t rattle and the shifts are fucking awesome. And if it doesn’t like going into third, it’s probably your tranny.

my bings doesn’t have any problems shifting, its a bit firmer than the stock shifter, but thats a good thing, it makes them feel better to me.

mine rattles at high RPM in second and third gear, sounds like change jingling around, but that doens’t happen unless i’m above 5,500 RPM which doesn’t happen all that often so it doesn’t bother me much.

The first generation b&m’s did rattle but they fixed it for all future production (this was also a couple years ago). I bought one years ago and it doesn’t rattle.
I also agree that it is probably problems with the tranny and not the shifter.
Try running redline MT90 fluid if you aren’t already doing so.

hey if you install everything correctly it will not do any damage, and the plastic nub at the end of the shifter should come with your new shifter you bought because the oem might not nessesarly fit good on the aftermarket shifter.

i just installed a megan racing short throw shifter and its the same height as the stock shifter with the stock shifter nob and does not rattle one bit like other ones do. its real nice a buttery and slides perfectly into each gear. i definatly recommend buying one!!!

give it a couple of weeks … soon you will notice the bolts comming loose and the rattling, leaking transmission fluid etc… throw that shit in the garbage before u fuk up ur transmission…

Yeah, my B&M humms like a bitch, sometimes worse than others, and it’s only really bad in 3rd.

Does anyone know of a shifter with a shorter throw than the B&M?

wow, it sounds like short shifters are pretty negative and pointless unless you really like the feel… I think I may just try to avoid more tranny problems in the future and switch back to the OE one

what no one thinks about is the synchros need time to work, a shorter stroke to shift is only for feel, if you actually shift faster without rev matching all you do is invite trouble (grinding, excess wear)

so if you think it will make you shift more quickly or precisely then I suggest don’t get one