shortening shift height

Just curious if anyone has cut and welded I dont know say a stock shifter or even a short throw shifter since it still sits high. I’ve met some people that have done it, one guy to a 240 but he didnt take care of it poor car, but is this a bad idea, or is it alright and how should it be done without weakening the shifter too much? Open to opinions!

my friend did this to his stock one and his short throw shifter. seems pretty solid to me as long as you know a pretty good welder.

how much did he cut off of it?
did he just say cut a piece out of the middle so that he didnt have to re thread it?

With my stock one i cut it where the shifter is for sum reason really thick. I left about 2CM of the thick part then cut the top part just under the threads because i wanted to re-use this peice. Drilled the same thickness of the threaded section into the thick part dropped it in then welded…this way the stress is not entirly on the weld. On other cars with a shifter the same diameter i just cut a chunk out then found a peice of tubing that just slipped over the diameter of the shifter and welded it all together. for my megan shifter i just the shifter and bought a shifter knob from CT that uses allen keys and a plastic adaptor. It comes loose every now and then so i just have my allen key in the shift boot ready to tighten it. i like my old shifter with the treaded knob because it never came loose. But ultimatly your not getting the full effect of a short shifter by cutting the stock shifter. Thats why i just bought a megan and cut it so its a little stubb thing and its pretty awesome. I havnt tried anyone elses shifters but ive had good compliments from ppl who have tried mine out.

Cutting the shifter itself shorter kind of does what you’re thinking, but won’t really shorten your shifter throw

But hell … the stock S12 shifter is about 3 feet long. Mine was cut (by the previous owner) but I like it. The knob sits well in my hand (i’m over 6 foot, in a little car)

I cut mine right where it gets thick (wasn’t the greatest idea)

so in order to weld the thin, threaded section back onto the hollow, thick section I had weld in a coin to give it a flat top so I can weld in the thread.

mickey mouse I know but it hasn’t failed since I did it a year ago.

im the friend overboost was tlaking about i still have my stock shifter taht i cut out wana buy it :slight_smile: lol its nice, but yeah if u want to do urs just take off as much as u can from under the threads and still leave a little on the fat part so u have room to weld them back together.

I did it, and i love it.

First off, I wouldn’t even bother hacking up your stock shifter…

Sure the throws might be slightly shorter, but the shifting will still be like f*cking a cheap whore.

Buy a short shifter, see how you like it, then start screwing around with
the hieght if you’re still not satisfied.

^ im with him, when i did my stock shifter it was cool in the first place but the shifts do feel akward tho lol buts its really all personal prefrence

I have had no problems with mine at all.

exacally.

cut stock shifters are so haggard.

you don’t need to weld shit, just cut and install a knob with a set screw

then see how you like that