dmv help

I just acquired a car that had been wrecked and rebuilt. It proudly wears a NY VIN plate, and is currently registered and on the road by the previous owner.

When I go to title and register this, how do I check the boxes? On the back of the title and new title paperwork, do I check “has been wrecked”? Is there anything else I need in terms of forms, or knowledge?

If the car is a rebuilt salvage aka been wrecked and had to be rebuilt the title should already be branded SALVAGE. If that’s the case then you are in the clear and don’t need to do anything special. It doesn’t have to go through the special inspection and everything again. Your best bet would be to go to DMV with the previous owner and have him go to the counter with you so the clerk can show you what boxes to check

If its less than either 8 or 10 yrs old (Ill have to check to see exact year) I believe you have to check the box, check “Has Not” been wrecked since it hasnt been wrecked since it went through salvage. If its over 8 or 10 yrs the box doesnt have to be checked so leave it blank,

Car is over 10 yrs old, I’m just fearful that the staff at the Schenectady downtown DMV will give me trouble about unchecked/blank boxes.

Many thanks!

Bring him with you. No cash unless it goes through. I’ve been burned.

Do not check the box and put up a stink if they want to make you. Eventually they’ll call my department if they have to haha. And ill tell them you are correct in not checking it.

Now this is some customer service, right here! Good job, sir. :slight_smile:

omg, schen DMV is HELL

yeah schenectady is the worst, just make the trip to ballston spa, they are great there

Or clifton park

or anywhere but schen

I hate Schenectady, but its 3 blocks from my office. Ballston Spa is a DMV paradise.

That said, I sailed through with nary a glance at my unchecked boxes, and can now enjoy my B series hatch beater until I sell it in two months. Huge plus rep to GD3.

No prob man. It all depends on who you get there too. There are a couple decent people over there, but most are bridge dwelling trolls.

As a matter of fact I’m pretty sure one of the Schenectady sup’s called and asked me a question very similar to this last week. Maybe it was still fresh in their minds lol.