Yet another salvage title inspection question... looking for advice

So, this is yet another annoying salvage question. I am looking at a car that currently has a rebuilt/salvage title, which is good, it means it already went through the painful inspection where they check to make sure it was rebuilt with non-stolen parts, etc… The bad news is that this inspection was done in Ohio, and to register it in NY, NY also has to perform the salvage inspection, again…

This sucks, but it’s the way it is.

So, if the previous inspection was done a long time ago, 10+ years, how the hell am I supposed to track down previous owners, and old receipts for the parts that were replaced. And in that same thought, how am I even supposed to find out what was replaced.

Theoretically, what if 10 years ago, the car was rebuild, and then 1 years ago, it hit a deer and more panels were replaced? It could be an endless cycle of proving parts…

So, I am almost thinking this may not happen because of the pure hassle of it all, but it’s for a toy I want to buy, and if I can’t make it happen, I’ll just walk away, but be bummed too!

Please advise.

-Mark

I wouldn’t even bother if I were you.

Are you buying a minivan?

Just trying to track the decline into complete fail over the past year :tspry:

Not really the type of advice I’m looking for. I am trying to find out the best way to do it, not if I should do it!

Hah, this is actually a fun car, to help offset the TDI :slight_smile:

I just went through this process with an out of state salvage/rebuild;

Depending on the level of repair, you don’t have to worry about receipts. While they may be good measure, the inspectors really only check MAJOR components or anything that is VIN matched to the car. You can go through and check most of it yourself to be safe but as long as say, the engine, wasn’t replaced I think you’ll be fine. The inspection took less than 10 minutes and I literally did not give them a damn thing as far as receipts go.

However, I must warn you that no matter how thorough you are with paperwork, this process will take 2-3 months. The DMV is a fucking shit show and it’s incredibly frustrating to see how easily they make such a simple task an overly drawn and time consuming process.

My advice is that if you are:
1 - Very patient
2 - Very thorough.
3 - Don’t need the car for at least 3 months.
4 - Are getting a seriously good deal.

Then gopher it. If any of those three things fall short, walk away and find a non-salvage car.

Good to know someone else survived this! Yeah, the car definitely has a different engine and transmission, but that was nothing related to the salvage. It has a turbo motor and different transmission swapped into the car. This is going to suck I have a feeling, but I’ll try to make it work. It’s not like I need it to get to work, so I can just try and see what happens! I’m just doing it to keep me occupied, lol.

Lets see some pics lol.

Dude, you need to bail on this idea. That’s a lot of time and money to “see what happens.” Especially when you have major components that have been replaced with no trace-ability.

I’m patiently waiting for you to post it won’t pass emissions or some bs also :lol:

Call 826-1501 and ask, its the local ofi (salvage office) on dingens. They will be happy to answer any questions you might have. And Paulo as far as it taking so long thats because the Gov cut the staff in half in most depts. You can only do so much with so many. Think thats screwy he also capped inspection stations try and open a new one (theres a 200 applicant wait list as of yesterday). Sounds so business friendly- doesnt it?

It’s an '87, that shouldn’t be too big of a problem, lol. I’m going to call the Ohio BMV tomorrow and ask if they have any paperwork from when it last passed, so that NYS can see it, and then call the DMV theft bureau, and see what they say.

What major components do they check, lets say I buy a front end damage truck, and basically replace the entire front end, what parts do they check?

Does it matter that it’s swapped? I mean, if they pull the vin on those parts and they aren’t reported stolen… who cares…

I guess that’s my biggest question. I could go through the whole car and get a list of VINs, hand it to them with the car. Would I still need receipts, or would they just check those VINs to see if it comes up stolen? I haven’t been able to get ahold of the DMV theft department yet, but I hope this will work, in this situation.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Well, I have some WONDERFUL news! I just called up the DMV inspection station, spoke with one of their investigators, and he told me in situations like this, no receipts are needed. His team will just confirm that the title I have is indeed for the car I have, I assume by the firewall stamp and maybe the dash. They will not be checking “major components”, because it was already repaired and titled in Ohio, so they are much more lenient. They just want to make sure that title, is for that car.

So, this should work out fine. And for the record, in 34 cars, that was the first person at the DMV I have ever spoke with who was both polite, and knowledable :bigtup:

woo wooooo

Nice. :tup:

Now tell us what the damn thing is.

:word:

It’s an '87 325is with a 2.3 turbo coupe ford swap, T5 transmission, megasquirt, 59mm turbo, etc…

I basically want something cheap, rwd, and turbo always helps, that I can wrench around on!

http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/47892/2988338890038663969S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/47549/2404053610038663969S600x600Q85.jpg

If it sucks HARDCORE, I’ll be able to sell the parts and more than get my money back, but I think I can work with it :tup:

Interesting swap but it’s a beautiful car nonetheless.

You could always call and explain the car?

The fact it says ford on the middle of the motor doesn’t help anything