dmv questions

i have a coworker who is from NJ, she want to register her car in NYS, she has her NYS temp license (awaiting arrival of the card), she has a clean NJ title, (no liens), and wants to know answers to the following:

1. will the NJ title be acceptable to register in NYS or will she need to transfer it to a NY title? title is currently in her fathers name, she will be transferring ownership.
  2. what will she have to do with her NJ plates?
  3. will she be able to transfer ownership and registration at the same time?

I was just trying to find something about transfering out of state titles but im not sure. I would call the NYS DMV

Not sure if he signed the title to you and you came to NYS with it if they can cross check and do that.

I’d imagine it might be possible but I would transfer it to your name in NJ then transfer here in NYS… AFAIK titling an out of state vehicle in NYS just ends up being like any normal process, walk in… fill out paperwork , get registration and wait 4 weeks for a new title.

Bill of sale and the title signed to her with the appropriate tax form filled out DTF-802 I believe, along with proof of insurance and you should be good ownership wise. And yes she will be able to register it the same day. As for the NJ plates she should contact NJ DMV to see about getting them surrendered.

and if her father is just signing the car over to her what would be needed? rather than pay tax on the vehicle twice.

So it’s a gift? Sign title over and still use DTF802 just mark it as a gift and no tax should be due.

cool thanks man

No problem.

I registered a car with Alabama plates and a Tennessee title and a swapped odometer (read 68k but title said 89k) with no issues here in NY

:lol

I just told the lady at the Schenectady dmv that the Tennessee dmv mustve messed up and put too many zero’s for the odometer reading and that it should’ve said 8900. No problem getting a title that read 68k.

everything Gd said…Thats what i fid w my fox