Do I need to change subframe?

I have a 90 300zx NA…doing a TT swap soon. Someone told me that the sub frame is different on the TT. It’s wider. Is this true? Will i have to do some fabrication to get the TT motor in the NA…or is it just a straight drop???

It is a different rear subframe but most would say the NA subframe is more desirable. The subframe width is the same. The differences are:

1. TT uses R230 differential with 3.54 gears (don’t remember the exact gear set but I’m pretty sure it’s this)
    NA uses R200 differential with 4.08 gears
  • TT owners usually get 4.10 leader gears for the R230 or swap out the entire subframe. The NA rear gear offers better acceleration but lower top speed. Who can really drive so fast all over the place anyway? Fast acceleration is key for the streets and the track.
  1. TT has HICAS. NA does not
  • TT owners usually throw on a HICAS delete bar because 4 wheel steering is undesirable.

The only thing you have to worry about is the driveshaft with the swap.
If your car was 5 speed before and you’re swapping in a 5speed tranny then the driveshaft is the same, but if you’re doing a 5 speed swap at the same time from auto then you’ll need a new driveshaft.

hey popcorn dya know a good balancing shop for getting the driveshaft made (if need be??)

Thanx for the info

Not too sure to tell you the truth. I’ll be looking for a place next year to carry on with my Crazy Datsun… I’d looked for a few places in 2003 when I was trying to power the J30 rear end from the stock tranny but I was lucky with the length of the shaft. I ended up taking the hub off the J30 rear end, drilling a few holes for the new mount and the hubs ended up coupling together fine from that.

No problems. Good luck.
When I did my TT swap, the fun factor and performance had when driving this TT swapped NA versus a stock TT was a lot higher. I love the way the rear end is geared high.

ya 4.08:1 is VEERRY close to drag gears for a muscle car!!

4.11 and 4.56 are generally accepted drag gears for a pro stock set up mustang vette camaro etc