Do you think diesel is worth it anymore?

Yeah but, you get that yummy french fry smell.

I think I posted about this before but, my buddy told me that newer vdubs can’t run on straight biodiesel.
I forget why(of course).

Newer Vdubs are “clean diesel” diesels, that have none of the fun stinky, rough running characteristics of their older counterparts.

i’d get a honda or toyota hybrid before i’d ever consider a diesel

do the math on it, and read up on the worldwide supply of diesel, and why it’s going up. this shouldn’t even be a thread if you’re informed

The only logical reason to drive a hybrid is if you’re concerned about the environment. Big markups, terrible resale, unknown engine/battery life, poor highway mileage, and potentially high maintenance costs = FAIL.

Describes so many cars on this board that aren’t hybrids.

Most diesels can run on STRAIGHT VEGTABLE OIL. Use an extra heater core to heat it, another heater on the filter and it will run no problem. Start/shut off on petrol.

You don’t have to process BIO-D to use the WVO. You can make a kit for your vehicle for a couple hundred bucks. Then send someone to Syracuse once a month to pick up a couple hundred gallons for $1.75/gal SVO thats already filtered.

Keep in mind the “Most” like Jack said. Not all are able to run WVO. Also the tank heater and the inline heating (usually engine coolant) are used to turn the WVO from a gel to liquidy goodness.

IMO it smells much much nicer than diesel. but duff’s oil gives me a headache :frowning: I don’t like the chicken wing smell

My Dad and I (for you correct english fuckers :D) Went thru this convo the other day because he is thinking about trading in his lease early on his truck. right now he drives a 2500 HD Chevy Crew cab long bed and hes getting about 6-8mpg towing a 7000lb trailor and 5000lb dump trailor. he refills his truck everyday for about 85$ (@4.19 87). the truck has a 20 gallon tank. so he is roughly going through about 960 miles as hes working about 6 days a week. so thats like 510$ a week in gas.

Now with a diesel truck he would be getting about 15-17 mpg at 4.99 per gallon. he would be driving the same distance (960mi) so now he would only have to fill up about 3times per week instead of 6. now 3x20x4.99 is 299.40$. that would be cutting costs nearly in half per week.

Also the diesel engine will outlast any gas engine. So say he drove 300,000 miles in the next 6 years (probably length of loan) he would be saving (157,125$ for 87) (88,235$ for diesel) about 68,890$.

diesel is worth is for trucks.

:wstupid: I’ve been wanting to do a wvo vehicle as a dd for awhile now for obvious financial reasons, I dont think running straight diesel is worth the savings. Although if sources for waste oil are getting harder to find, plus you have to start up and shut down on straight diesel which is getting more expensive, not to mention the actual collection, filtering and storing of the oil, its starting to look like svo/wvo setups are quickly becoming less cost effective as well

I cant imagine how the biodiesel companies are staying in business charging that much more than regular diesel

If you have a diesel vehicle already you can easily do it for 500 or less. If not yea its understandable.

Only really sucks in the winter, In the summer you might burn through 5 bucks in diesel a week. Depending on how you run it… you only really need to get the engine temp/coolant temp to 150F which is pretty quick for most cars.

Collecting = pain

Filtering = easy

Storing = lots of space

Cost effectiveness = All about the source of the oil

:shrug: Apparently there is a market for it.

one note: If the majority of your driving is over 20 min its cost effective. over an hour you’d be stupid not to try it out. under 20 don’t even bother.

Everyone in this thread that said “it’s not worth it” has not driven a diesel. Besides the fact that a normal TDI will last for 300,000-400,000 miles and consistently get their EPA rating mpg, hybrid is new technology. Although Prius’ et cetera are maybe reliable (but not to 400,000miles without apprx. 4 battery changes), there are other downsides. You can’t cut into it with the Jaws of Life due to the wiring through the body; the fuel bladder is flexible and makes the gas gauge inaccurate, and it’s EPA rating of whatever is on a 55mph throughway, not 65 like all the TDI’s ratings.

Not trying to make this a hybrid v. diesel fight, but the hybrid thing is going to come up a couple more times for sure. Diesel has a few downfalls like… the larger truck pump nozzles don’t fit all the way in, and sometimes your hands might sort of smell like diesel. Finding a diesel station is crazy easy, check your local stop. It probably has a diesel pump. Also, they launch about as fast as an electric wheelchair. In winter you have to let the glow plugs warm up for about five seconds before you start it. If it gets below like four degrees F., you might need to put preservative in your tank.

If you want a solid, reliable, unique car that will make you forget about the oil crisis, get a diesel. As far as towing and large load trucks go, diesel seems ideal. I know some drivers that leave the trucks on overnight and only use a gallon and a half of diesel.

Understandable, that’s how I felt until I started reasearching the latest Civics, and especially the Toyota Prius about a dollar in gas ago. I think you should do the same, I did a complete 180 from the POV you posted after finding out how much better the 04+ Prius was compared to previous years.

The markups, yeah - that’s just happened in the past 1.5mos. They come back down, hell - even if they don’t, I’m getting one next year. The technology has come leaps and bounds from the shit we had in the late 90s/ early 00s.

diesel dropped 6cents since yesterday

Stop Posting right now you are misleading people. Do some research before you make posts.

A TDI does not have a 65MPG EPA rating

A priust does not have a 55MPG EPA rating

he said a 55mph thruway and a 65 mph thruway, not 55mpg and 65 mpg

fuck your right, sorry I just figured since throughway was wrong that he messed up the MPG part too.

diesel has dropped 12cents since tuesday while 87 has gone up 3

Hey bud, no harsh feelings but the new TDI Jetta is running ultra clean and rated to 65. I said 55MPH for the Prius. As in the EPA rating for highway was set at fifty-five miles per hour, not the normal 65mph that the TDI was ran.

“More recently they have indicated that real world highway figures of up to 60mpg were possible.” -VW.

We’ve got one on order for '08, so when it comes in to replace our '06 we’ll have a real solid number.

Also, priust? Like the toyota hybrid needs to be raping alter boys, with it’s already sky-high gay levelzzz. ;D

:tup: for reading comp :cjerk:

If you mean older yes. If you mean new with DPF and SCR shit no.

Even with an older vehicle if you don’t do lots of miles it’s not worth it. I don’t want a 12 valve Dodge anymore. With fuel at 5.15 (what I paid yesterday) it’s not worth the extra money up front and for fuel. It’s cheaper to keep the gas truck in my case. I just drive the gas truck less since I drive my little Mazda to work now. Now if I could get a diesel Mazda3 here for my commuter car maybe. Even so don’t know if mpg is worth the extra money as well as the hassle of SCR additive.

And don’t forget that in a Pickup it’s 7 or 8 thousand dollars more. Don’t forget that you pay sales tax and interest on that extra cost. Also remember the aformentioned emissions garbage. A DPF is good for around 100k. A pickup DPF is around $1100 so add another penny per mile to your cost of ownership calculations for that.