Does anyone here do powder coating at home?

Im going to be powder coating a couple things for my E30 and was wondering if it would be cost effective to buy a gun and do it at home? Anyone have any experience in DIY powder coating? Flame suit is on…

PM lafengas, hes done it

he even made his own oven

yes, but you need an electric over and alot of stuff dosnt fit so you would have to make your own oven for larger items, could also get away with big heavyduty paintbooth type lights once or twice i know this because my cousin bought a large pc kit

is it all the same color? the guy who did my strutbars did 20 of them for 80 bux… and did a good job

Ya I checked out Lafengas’ write-up but he has a lot of broken links. Im kinda looking for someone to point me in the right direction as far as what supplies to get and and where from and what kind of cost to expect. Obviously, they easier to use equipment the better.

You’re going to be better off taking them somewhere if you only need to do a few things.

You can buy a gun kit from Harbor Freight or ebay for $50 and a used electric oven for $50… must have a dryer outlet or 220V in the garage (or a eextension chord)

Part prep is the most important thing and most stuff needs to be sandblasted… for that reason its not worth doing it at home unless you have a large compressor, sandblaster, and the above equipment.

not only that, but you need a way to suspend it inside the oven… which wont be too bad if you can weld up a hanging rack… but im just saying, its an extra step

i really need to get off my ass and get a nice oven