Does anyone here work at a shop/garage/dealership?

i dunno, just wondering. What do you mostly do, and how do you like it?
I don’t work at a shop but I’m looking into it and I just wanted to see within
the SON community how it is.

This is a forum for guys who love sports cars check out the banners and threads there all over the place. I have actually been really shocked that there is so much knowledge on this board. From what I have seen the ones that don’t post all the time are the ones that you should be talking to.

Hope that helps

i used to work at a shop IMO its just the same crap everyday fixing rusty ass imports ect… bolts snapping and stripping from being rusted. nothing working right ect…

you can get very different environments at different shops. i work in the shop at a cheap used car dealership, i mostly deal with 2000+ domestics, usually just doing safeties (if anyone PM’s me asking for a fake safety i will punch them in the face). so basically i do a lot of tires and brake jobs, since they’re fairly new cars i don’t have to do much else.

lately i’ve been working on a lot of german stuff just by chance though…

had to do a cylinder head on a '99 audi A4 (broken timing belt)

water pump went on a '93 BMW 325I, took out the rad, clutch fan, upper rad hose and both serp. belts.

2003 BMW 323I, lady put it in the ditch, fucked the front bumper and 2 rims, fixed those and the car also needed tires all around and brakes all around.

honestly, if you really do like working on cars it’s great work to get into, i’d recommend working at a small shop because you will actually get to do real work, in a large dealership you’ll get all of the shitty jobs. at my place it’s just me and the licensed mechanic so we do the same jobs… for example on my very first day i had to pull an engine out of a '97 geo tracker.

good luck.

i used to work at midas, wal-mart automotive (lol ahaha) and now im currently at a toyota dealership. like what simplemind said, if you really like working on cars, then its the right trade to get into. also your better off working at a smaller shop because its true, you do get to do a lot more difficult jobs. im not saying i don’t do it at toyota, but you won’t do it as much if your in a dealer. also, you’ll probably be paid more at a smaller shop. then again, i doubt simplemind gets to see twin tubro supras and ae86s :D. other then that, japanese cars are by far a lot easier to work on then domestic or european cars.

haha, no i don’t get anything good. coolest thing i’ve worked on at my work is probably that A4, it was lowered, WILD!

there is a problem with working at smaller shops though, the work isn’t very consistent so sometime you’ll have to do crap you don’t want to, i have to clean snow off of cars on a regular basis, i wash cars sometimes and i’ve painted most of the front office.

Lmao, go paint more office doors brendan!