Down to Innovative for tuning

I know you guys will hate on me but just thought Id post up Im heading down to Innovative to finish off the tuning on my Cobalt this weekend. I know its not as fast as most all the cars on the forum but I enjoy it and its fun to just have something to work on for now. Till I can afford the better ones.

I am curious though does anyone know if innovate has air to liquid intercoolers. I need something bigger to help keep my temps down and Im just trying to figure out where to get something reasonable.

thanks for any help guys

Innovative will get you whatever you need.

Good choice on getting the car down there :tup:

from what i understand about air - water intercoolers, dont they just sustain lower temperatures for longer than air - air? air - air intercoolers will heatsoak if driven hard for a long period of time. maybe you just need a larger air - air? i would discuss it with mike before you go spending a ton of money on a baller setup if you dont really need it…

what r u tunning with did u buy hp tuners? does mike know ur coming lol. get a cobra air exchanger all ss owners do that mod

yup, ull be set

:word: big upgrade for those guys

chris better have put his on by now

negative

wow he sucks :stuck_out_tongue:

Air to water is only superior when it comes to drag racing, or stop and go city driving.

Air to water = more weight, more complexity, but will not have the initial heat soak issues that an air to air will have when standing still. Great for a drag car or someone who spends all their time downtown and never gets on the highway or a road longer than a mile. Oh and when your air to water does heat soak, good luck getting those IAT’s back down if you dont have a bag of ice handy.

Air to air is lighter, will sustain substantially lower IAT’s when moving, but is inferior for drag racing as it will heat soak on the line and you cant get the IAT’s nearly as low as you could with a few bags of ice in the Water like you could with the other setup. Personally, I prefer a well designed Air to air, because I dont do much drag racing and spend most of my time in my cars moving. (when they run, har har har).

Good information.

make sure you stay near a wilson farm or 7-11

very good info to know.

mine doesn’t heat soak with water-air :gotme:. i haven’t seen iat2 temps higher than 115* with repeated back to back pulls

mike knows im coming.

they have hp tuners at the shop.

Reason i want the air to liquid is because then i can just switch my lins and stay with a mostly stock setup. I plan on gettingn the dual pass plate aswell.

I cant wait to have mike finish this thing up on saturday

Two pulls, I wouldnt expect it to. 10-20 minutes of WOT I would, which is where an Air to air really takes over. Even with moderate highway driving a good Air to Air is superior to a Air to water, but for the occasional WOT pull Air to water is superior (especially if you have ice available).

For a setup like yours, Air to water makes sense, for one like mine, Air to Air makes sense. As always there are merits for each application.

A Cobra heat exchanger shouldn’t be your first mod. A dual pass plate should come first then do the heat exchanger.

it will be much easier for me to change the exchanger then to do the dual pass. So i plan on buying both at the same time. Doing the exchanger then in a few days the dual pass when i have the time to remove the supercharger and manifold. I am just curious what exchanger to get and it looks like the cobra is winning

damn i didn’t know mike had hptuners now. hmm i may have to give him a ring.

if your looking for something larger than the stock cobra H/E go look at LFP or other larger aftermarket heatexchangers for the cobra.

yep innovative tuning now has hp tuners software :slight_smile: i’m sure mike will post up the list of cars its available for, but i know for sure cobalt ss is one of them!

Welcome to the message board. As for a a water to air intercooler…Im guessing that you mean that you want a bigger front mount…correct?
I own a '97 GP thats Supercharged and intercooled. So, we have that in common. I run a HUGE front mount radiator. Its actually a radiator for cooling an engine. :wink: It makes the Cobra front mount look tiny. It might be overkill but for a car thats driven alot on the streets, bigger is usually better. The more surface area the liquid can go across and be cooled, the better.

he has the unlimited license for the cobalts.

I have been talking to him for months to set this all up

Between that and all the good things i hear, I cant wait to see how much more he can eek out of this thing. Again not as fast as most but does the job for autocross and fun for me