DragnDoor's 1998 Ranger

not really. its a roller though. suspension is done and working. Need to finish the sheetmetal dash and get the interior going, run brake and fuel lines, and decide on the motor choice. might keep the 4 banger for NYS inspection ease, or attempt to put a small block in there and fudge some paper work to get it on the road. 4 banger is more of a pain to get working but easier to inspect reg, v8 would take about an hour to put in and get running, but hell to get on the road. fucking nys

Why not do an LT1 swap. They’re cheaper than an LS1 and your pre vin recognition. So as long as you get an OBD2 LT powerplant and ECM it shouldn’t really be a big deal.

Swap in a subie motor so you can get a hood on that thing :lol

lol, that might be the only way.

I just read the whole thread…pretty cool project…Did you end up doing the tilt bed or no ? didnt see that in there but did see you mentioned you might do that.
I helped body drop a sick truck that had a bed that tilted up and the roof tucked under the bed… Is this thing going to roll around this spring?

http://i56.tinypic.com/wssnt4.jpg

So when I go scan it the ecu wont show the vin and they will do a safety check on the truck and then readiness on the ecu and motor?

No bed is just going to be hung on the frame, and we are going to put either a snap on cover or something on it, or sheet metal it right flush. Maybe flush wood or something… TBD still.

Yeah it will be rolling spring time or so. its in storage right now. Still ironing out the plans for my garage build. thats first priority at this time.

Isuzu Hombre, right? Not many of those around. If I recall correctly - Dave from Low Profile (another old skool CC if you aren’t familiar) had a slammed Hombre back in the day… it might have been his GF’s though, hard to remember that far back.

5.3 or 6.0 swap, I can wire it for you. It will pass inspection…

VIN reporting is not a problem with LSx motors either! It’s a simple edit in EFI live to have it report correctly. Not that it matters anyway, VIN reporting isn’t part of the OBDII standard. If you go by VIN#, my ECM reports as a 2001 Formula and I’ve never had an issue.

This was my friend Brians …he sold it…His father runs Dead End Cruisers C.C

sweet, maybe this ford will be chevy powered next year too!

One of my friends crashed his cobra…might be able to get you the car if they total it out…Not sure what he is going to ask

:banghead

VIN reporting is not a problem with LSx motors either! It’s a simple edit in EFI live to have it report correctly. Not that it matters anyway, VIN reporting isn’t part of the OBDII standard. If you go by VIN#, my ECM reports as a 2001 Formula and I’ve never had an issue.[/quote]

You don’t have a problem because of the age of the vehicle. If it was say a 2003 ranger which is after the point of VIN recognition with DMV and you swapped in an LQ4 from say an 2004 2500 GM DMV would come looking for you. They would think your doing what they call a clean sweep and inspecting vehicle A that has SES light issues, but plugging in vehicle B that doesn’t. I suggested LT1, because it would be cheaper. I would think Mike would have to research and see which is lower profile LT1 or LS powerplant to see which would work for his use better.

I don’t think it’s possible to be cheaper than say an LM7 (they are only a 200-400 dollars). I would say an LM7 with a car intake, cut alternator/PS bracket and modified waterneck would be perfect for his application.

Onto the '03 Ranger w/ LQ4 argument, I am quite sure it will work fine if the VIN reports correctly, would it not? I don’t see how age would be a factor, GM and Ford have been VIN reporting since OBD2 was introduced.

Explain how people pass inspection with OBD2 simulators… I would say that the NYS reader isn’t as intelligent as most think.

Cam the 2.5 adjustable cam gear, long tube header, tuned it will make 150 who. I know it will because we have built a few, na and turbo. Drive it and enjoy, then motor swap after you get tired of it a little… Enjoy it this year as a reliable motor/truck. Eslinger makes any/everything for that motor it’s essentially an old 2.3 pinto motor.

150whp in a 3500lb truck is slower than a stock 1994 honda civic HX full of sand. Its not a race truck by any means and doesn’t want to be. The motor swap was just for ease of installation, maybe a shot in hell to get it on the road legally and to make a little noise while sparking down the road.

Also the damn 2.5 is tall and sticks a foot outa the hood! a nice SBC swap with a low manifold might have a fighting chance of clearing a decent cowl hood.

thx for the info though. I would be interested in seeing some of your past work and sharing ideas.

Onto the '03 Ranger w/ LQ4 argument, I am quite sure it will work fine if the VIN reports correctly, would it not? I don’t see how age would be a factor, GM and Ford have been VIN reporting since OBD2 was introduced.

Explain how people pass inspection with OBD2 simulators… I would say that the NYS reader isn’t as intelligent as most think.[/quote]

From what I understand about it you would have to program the GM ECM with a Ford vin. Which theoretically could be done if you could find a GM dealer that would do it for you, but you would need enough of the factory GM wiring and other modules to allow our software to interface with the ECM. VIN reporting is specific to the vehicle and thats how DMV finds out if you plug in vehicle 1 to pass vehicle 2 that won’t pass. Far as O2 sims thats no great stretch, they just stay at a specific resistance so the ECM doesn’t register a catalyst issue. Front 02s are what determine AF ratio rears and just for emissions reasons so as long as they read about 450 ohms or whatever it is your fine.

truck is JUNK <3 u kevin lmfao

MAJOR + REALLL LIFE REP TO WAYNE

for the obvious cant believe we didn’t think of it before problem solver… Find a 95 ranger …
WIN

We could have this thing done in a week if we wanted to. We have a 307 carb’d cheby motor, wayne has a sweet trans kevin will pick up, wire the headlight, tails, etc. one line to the fuel pump, brake lines, rad… cake work. DONE.

DOOOO ITTTTTTT