Drilled/Slotted rotors?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/KCuv/rotors.jpg
i just bought these new rotors…i chose them over oem because they aid my project to look more :pimp: (other parts/service have been bought recently :snky: )

my question is tho, do they actually do anything as far as braking goes??? and do they eat away at pads like i imagine they would?

they they should be OK as long as you are jsut using them on the street. Severe driving or track duty and they’ll most likely crack, as drilled rotors often do.

for real?? i thought if theyre good enough for ferrari theyre good enough for me…ive never heard of that before

I’d imagine they dont do anything for ya for everyday driving.

A big brake kit is where its at.

:word:

You would be better off upgrading the pads/calipers.

the calipers are 4 piston in front 2 in back and in good condition…getting them powdercoated red and the pads are all going to be new once the rotors go on :tup:

edit: (back on topic) wait so they dont help for everyday…but crack when driving hard enough…(???)

http://www.dallasimports.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11487

^^^ Good read explains it very well.

yea they just reduce heat, but if they are cheapies they will prolly have a better chance of cracking/eating up pads. what kind are they? my advice is spend some $$ on some good pads

whoop there it is

i had brembo x-drilled rotors…i noticed better intial bite and less fade…but for my Z brake upgrade i am going to use brembo blanks

plus those look like my zinc-coated rotors i have= no ugly rust build up

wow what an awesome link A++++

i had those on my 3000gt years back, get some good pads to go along with them too if you got the cash. z’s have pretty nice calipers as is :tup:

:word: i had some of those rotors on my eclipse when i had it that were zinc coated (prevented rusting). as long as you run some good pads you should be fine. it should look good when you put it all together once the calipers are powdercoated :tup:

:cough:toldyaso:cough:

well they are the dual design (forget the name of it) so they will cool better as there is space between the 2 faces of the rotors. if the holes are cast they will be less prone to warping.

z32 brakes are good, but its a fat fucking car.

should be all right, just get some good pads

Crossdrilled rotors dont do anything for cooling. They are there for pad gas venting and for looks. When vented rotors spin they suck up air from the hub area and spit it out radially. The more the mass air flow the better to cooling. Turbulance causes less mass air flow which reduces cooling which is why the big dogs (AP, Brembo, Alcon) spend so much money on fin design. Cross drilling reduces mass air flow because of the turbulance it causes in the air column. Think of a vacumn cleaner hose those blows instead of sucking. Having a bunch of holes in it really doesnt help. I read all of this in a SAE paper once. Those rotors already have slots in them for pad gasses so really the cross drilling is a marketing ploy.

Did you even look at the link that was posted?

Cross drilled or slotted on anything but mega expensive racing rotors is just increased bling at the cost of braking performance and reliability. In his case that might be fine though because he said he just wanted to increase the :pimp: