Brake Rotors

There has been, and more than likely will always be disputes between people regarding cross drilled and slotted rotors versus blank rotors.

Myself, I do choose cd/s because there is a difference. A slight decrease in instant stopping force. Yet NO brake fad.

Having cd/s on a lifted truck with dual piston front and single rear. Versus single front and drum rear (as it was stock) I noticed a huge difference of course after swapping to disc’s all around. Yet noticed an even bigger improvement after the cd/s.

Just curious as to everyone’s preference and taste.

Besides the fact that it’s much more visually appealing. Why do you choose cd/s? If not, why do you choose blanks?

Track or street. Is not the debate here. Just over all opinions.

So you noticed a difference after going from drums to disc brakes?

Did you have blank rotors first and then swapped it over to cd/s?

And where did you test your brakes on your truck?

Blanks for me. I don’t track enough to have a real use for cd/s yet. I am also cheap so I will hold off until I will use my brakes harder/more.

It does make for good hard parking though…

Brembo Blanks…

it’s not that i know or care whether x-drilled is better its that i dont trust the people who do it. I’ve mentioned before that i have seen old chinese women using a mastercraft drill press and a paper template to drill out $10 rotors and sell them as x-drilled.

I have slotted rotors in the rear of my S13 but only because i got a great deal on them.

Good read here:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1437513

Old…

I had to, btw nice post.

I prefer slotted, there’s always a risk of the rotor cracking from cross drilled but ultimately they’re recommended for racing in rainy conditions so they dispense water better which allow the pad and rotor best contact…

where as slotted, all round are good performers since they allow minimal brake fade from allowing to exit the gases from the pad caused from the pads friction against the rotor.

but in the end, I’d recommend both cross drilled and slotted all in one, then again carbon ceramic is the best overall if your looking for the real big thing and from what I recall, aren’t they blank? probably from the materials because they cause quick cooling and heat dissipation(ceramic) but really “exotic” in pricing lol.

Of course i noticed a difference! Rollin on 33x12.5’s With stock single piston fronts and drums.

Yes i had blanks when i first did the swap.

On the road. Trails. Vigorous braking. My truck stops better than any car i have driven. Better than my s13. Although i need to change the brake fluid again.

Only thing i would like to add to my set up is ss flex lines. My lines are over a foot long…each.

edit; and i have 5 flex lines. so ss would make the world of difference

edit AGAIN; forgot to mention i run semi-metallic pads. they work wicked awesome with cd/s

whether this means anything or not…

http://www.xtremestop.com/index.html

the shop next to mine, called john stuart power brake told me c/d rotors dont have the strength of slotted and can warp under extreme heat and braking. Why not buy rotors slotted and drilled ?

I run Brembo cd/s and they’ve survived 2 seasons of hard driving, never faded, pads are still in great shape.

I’ve got side by side comparo too, I’ve got stock calipers and iirc stock pads. Drove with a buddy with a completely stock S13, his brakes were totally gone at the end of the trip, smoke billowing etc. I was still braking with tons of force and no mushy pedal.

Hilarious

holy shit, are people still not convinced that CD rotors are shit? people that believe they help you, go read that article that was posted…

you want better braking? go buy some carbon ceramic rotors and pads, youll lock your tires ever time you tap the brakes, and guess what, theyre not drilled or slotted! omg how is that possible!?!?!

^strange though how they still appear on $6-figure cars

EBC rotors - slotted/dimpled

thinking the same thing. a lot of factory cars come with cs/d rotors…hmm

Looks purdy.

purely because they look cool.

if you really want to cool your brakes then run some ducting from the front of your car to your wheel wells.

if CD/S brakes were the bees knees then you would see them on every performance car and there wouldnt even be an argument. but you just see them on riced out civics and shit… f1 cars dont use em, nascar doesnt use em, 24 hours of le mans doesn use them… hmmmm…

Always keep this in mind when it comes to upgrading cars…

If it makes your car look better and it’s supposed to give you better performance…it’s probably true.

hmm, interesting read.

I’ve heard of X-drilled rotors cracking before, and kind of figured why, but after reading what was posted on the link above, it’s made me re-think my future setup.

http://images.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0702_10z+f1_driving_contest+brakes.jpg
that ain’t no regular pad/rotor/caliper combo.

if you can get that for any car at the same price as cd/s go ahead.

oh but wait! you can’t. not even at an outrageous price for most cars. so cd/s work for meeee.