Drilling out Tie Rod connection hole

Hey guys

I need to drill out the hole where your outer tie rods connect to the wheel assembly. Do you guys know what kind of drill bit I would use? Whether step drill or cobalt drill etc.

If the answer is that I should bring it to a machinest… I’ll have to do it later.

Why would you need to drill it out?

They are tampered in the other direction. I need to flip my tie rods. ( This is not on an 240sx )

tapered you mean. Maybe you installed them on the wrong sides? loosen the inner tie rods and turn the outers around. NEVER re-drill a spindle. That is insanely stupid and fucking dangerous. Either get the right parts, or hire some one that knows what they are doing.

In my 10 years, never have I heard of something like this or EVER came across anything like that at all.

Best of luck

i think he is doing a custom steering set up

turning the tie rod upside down

just bring your spindle to a machinest, and bring the tie rod, so it can be machined properly

u cant just drill that shit

That is correct. The existing spindle has the tie rod hole tapered in the opposite direction. I get bump steer because the tie rod is not aligned with the lower control arm. I need to get the ‘spindle’ drilled out so that I can insert my tapered stud in the opposing direction, allowing me to bolt the tie rod in the correct location to reduce/eliminate bump steer.

My apologies. I understand now. Take it to a machine shop. They will more then likely have to fill it then tapper the hole.

^^ have you considered RCA’s for your LCA? Not sure what car we’re talking about but you may be able to shim it down enough to reset your LCA relative to your tie rod angle.

Alright. I urbandictionary’d RCA and I got:

1. Reverse Cowgirl Anal
  2. An American Electronics Manufacturer that’s crap
  3. Really crappy alliance…
  4. Rural Chuluota Army

wtf is #4, and could someone please define for me RCA lol
Thank you.

fixed… lol

nice post i like aha.

RCA = roll center adjuster.

I have modified Lower control arms that have allowed me to change my roll center. Here is an example of what I did.

http://nittotire.com/blog/bodyImages/131.jpg

The Crwock Is Stirr Brwinking!!! lol memories

sorry about that. yeah roll center adjusters.

looks like you have what you need. you basically want the arc of the tie rod to be as close as possible to the arc of the LCA.

here’s what i mean for a double wishbone setup:

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/text/bsdrawing.jpg

google up bump steer and you’ll see how other guys typically tackle things. most will go for the RCA option and just tune their shim heights to get where they need to be. hope this helps.

Give me a call at work tomorrow, I am in process of building a couple of road course cars and a hot rod. the hot rod is a 1950 Ford convert, putting Lexus 400 motor, 240 rack and using stock spindles from Ford. fun wow 905 690-3100