Tie Rod End

So my cousin messed up my tie rod end by hitting the thread on top with a hammer to free the ball joint from the hub assembly. :headbang I tried to screw on the nut to the bolt but of course now it won’t screw on because the first few threads are kind of “crooked”. Is there any way I can fix this short of having to put in a new tie rod end? Its not that I’d mind buying new tie rods but mine are still in good condition(no wheel play) and removing the old one is a PITA and a half. Any suggestions?

Use a die froma tap and die set to try to fix the threads

get a new one less of a pain in the ass

if you dont have a die, crank it on (if your man enough) it will straighten out.

I tried and stripped the damn nut instead :headbang

Gonna try to file it down

Dude, a tie rod end is like, $15-20. Quit being cheap. I don’t know why people risk their safety so much when the cost is so little.

Go ahead, ask how I know that price. Assuming it’s an outer tie rod as those are more common, go to an Advance Auto (I am a manager at the one on Altamont Ave. in Rotterdam), the part number for an outer, either side, is ES-4304 or SES-3404. The SES is cheaper. If it’s an inner tie rod, the part number is ES-3405 or SES-3405.

yeah what chris said…

anyway, i have a few easy methods of extracting these without wrecking the boot, or threads. if he felt he had to hit it like that, he should have threaded the nut back on a little bit, that way he was hitting the nut and not mushing the threads.