Driving Down The Street, When Suddenly I Was Shot At, Breaking The Rear Glass.

I was driving to work, and my rear window exploded for reasons that are not exceedingly obvious. The car is a beater, so price is more of a concern than quality.

How do I get this resolved cheap? Internet shows about $215 locally for a replacement. Thats not a big deal, but less is better.

Did the shot come from the 6th floor book depository, or from the grassy knoll?

Also, what kind of car?

I can not answer your question, but the title of this thread reminded me of the lyrics to the song “Stone Cold Crazy” last verse.

I suppose that may be an important detail. Most likely a grassy knoll.

1999 Honda Civic EX Sedan. It has the antenna and defroster on the glass and all that fancy shit.

same thing happened to JAM like 2 weeks ago…

Yup! In my work car. Shit just exploded. Scared the crap out of me

it was a year old ford focus hatchback

Don’t they have glass coverage on insurance for this kind of thing?

I was kinda hammered at a party once and started throwing objects out the 2nd story window at my Subaru. I won’t go into too much detail but somehow an empty jar smashed my rear glass. Insurance covered it, no deductible…

I thought 100% glass coverage was mandatory in NYS?

My parents smashed 3 rear windshields of their old van in less than a month and insurance covered it with no deductible every time.

My brother had someone shoot a frozen paintball through his old windshield and it worked out the same way.

The insurance for this car is much less than $100 a year through Geico. I don’t think it has zero deductible on glass, thats typically covered under comprehensive, which is not required. Even then, I believe Geico has a $200 or $0 deductible option, of course you pay more for the $0. Being that the glass basically costs $200, and wouldn’t cover OEM glass anyways, theres near zero advantage to go that route even if it was mandated in NYS. The car isn’t worth much, but I do prefer it has a rear window. Quite a conundrum.

Call Dave at M&D autoglass

Tell him Darren with the MR2 referred you.
685-1294

When I hit a deer back in May I had this shop replace the windshield for me at the recommendation of Zeon’s place. They were quick and did a great job, and from what I recall the price was like $250 or $300 for a windshield. They even vacuumed up most of the broken glass for me.

http://www.clearcutbuffalo.com/

To go from my $500 deductible with $0 on glass to just a straight $500 deductible would save me a total of $12 a year for my 2 vehicle policy.

But both those vehicles already have full coverage.

a $215 windshield job is going to be awesome… and by that i mean the opposite :slight_smile:

it amazes me how cheap off-shore glass is

I got paid $1200 by safelite when they replaced my front window.

how does that work? did they crack your dash or something?

The car cost $1200, so I do like the sound of a free shitty car AND new glass.

I tossed some plastic wrap on it. Can’t even tell.

Yup, the window cracked in half and scratched my dash on my ridgeline. It was $1200 to fix, you cant even notice it unless you look for it but it pissed me off. The worst part was when I turned my air on and shards of glass flew in my face. anyway, I got a new windshield and $1200, woot.

Never get cheap aftermarket windshields. I’ve done that twice. The first time I didn’t know any better, and the second I really didn’t care much about the car. Both times I got crappy wavy glass with sealant blobbed all over the place. The first one leaked until I made them re-do it, after their attempt to blame the sun roof. Unless it’s a POS you don’t care about, go OEM.