Driving to Hilton Head, SC - Any suggestions, routes, advice?

My route is 79 -> 19 -> 77.

I’m going to be swinging through Pittsburgh and stopping for a bite to eat. I’ll be driving from 5pm - 12am and then 6am and hopefully arriving around noon.

Thanks in advance!

:tup:

As someone who’s done the drive to Outer Banks twice and flew to Wilmington to drive the GTO home once my suggestion is to fly. Anything over 10 hours and flights start looking real attractive.

That said, your route is the best bet if you just have to drive.

was just down that way a few weeks ago… construction around wytheville might get you on the way back. it wasn’t bad going southbound but looked crazy on the northbound side. when we came back north it was reasonable so i’m not sure if it was just a temporary thing or what.

whatever you do don’t breakdown on the big hill on 19. had the transmission explode on the southbound journey 4 years ago. it was a saturday, nothing was open, nearest tow place was out in east bumfuck west virginia where i expected to be told how pretty my mouth was…great way to start a vacation.

Too short of notice to get a reasonable flight. Not to mention, it’s just me…so I can take my time and do what I want. If I had kids, it would be a no brainer.

Also, getting my brand new $2000 set of golf clubs down there and renting a car…it’s starting to get really expensive.

Appreciate the route advice though.

Hit up Klemann. He lives out that way!

I was there last week for a Summit. The area is really nice. Lots of construction on 278 though on the northern stretch.

:tup:

I’m only on 278 for ~ 30 miles, no biggie. Thanks though!!!

Don’t speed on 19. It’s a 65 MPH highway with fucking stoplights, and passes through a couple little shitty towns with speed traps and cops that love to pull over Yankees.
If you leave pittsburgh at 6am you should hit the first Shoney’s in WV right around breakfast time.

Be careful in VA as they are anti-radar detector and use pretty much anything as unmarked cops. My friend got pulled over by a late 80’s Jeep Cherokee on the Interstate :lol:

fuck 19.

skip pitt. take 90 -> 271 -> 77. You skip the back and forth and endless winding roads thru PA and VA, and its not a speedtrap.

ive made this drive a few times, its faster to go to 271 to 77 than it is to go 79/19/77

i don’t know about that…i went from butler (30 miles north of pittsburgh) to lake norman outside of charlotte- approximately 460 miles in just about 6 1/2 hours…averaging out at 70mph isn’t too bad.

19 is ok just gotta really watch your speed in and around Summersville and Fayetteville. There will most certainly be speed traps in those towns. Other than that, Va is not a very good state to speed through, particularly around the state line(s). NC and PA are pretty wide open for the most part though.

Should I be concerned about my V1 being confiscated? Any states that don’t particularly like radar detectors.

I’ll be taking a one way flight to Minneapolis in the morning and driving the 660miles back home to Cleveland (if all goes well). :snky:

Illegal in Va. Just got back from atl a few hours ago. The ride down was great. The construction on the way back sucked but it wasn’t bad. Like everyone says follow the speed limits closely on 19. Other than that I rolled 12 over everywhere else

detectors are illegal in VA and they will also tag on a reckless driving if you are 20 over.

I also just got bsck from there … just have to deal with 19 …

… where you staying ?? … we stay in palmetto dunes every year

i took that route last april when i went to charlotte, i turned off my v1 going through VA. some sections of the route have higher posted speed limit which is nice. somewhere around the WV/VA border seemed to have the cheapest posted gas that i saw too btw. one section of tolls through WV but its like 40 cents and you can use your ezpass.

def some nice scenery. tunnels were sweet if you have exhaust work done :tup: took me a little under 11 hours to go from buffalo to concord NC with a couple quick stops and a 45 minute lunch.

PRIMANTIS?

FYI SC gas was $3.17 and I saw $3.19 in VA

I have a mansion rented out in Sea Pines.