Review: Driving to Georgia

Don’t do it. Fly.

Its not so much the trip down that was bad. Pretty uneventful, made it to hinesville in ~14 hours (90-271-77-26-95). But the trip back up was horrid. of course, we went to visit my aunt on the last day.

“Atlanta”, i say to myself, “thats pretty close”.

i must have blocked it out that she actually lives 50 miles north of atlanta, in the middle of nowhere. add in the construction on 575 (leading away from the city) that lead to stop and go traffic for 45 minutes, and it took a heck of a lot longer than i originally though.

Edit: forgot to put that i was driving from ~7am-~12 AM(midnight) including all stops for gas, food, bathroom breaks, and dropping the gf off at her place. yea, never doing that again.

ended up spending the night there, and left just after 7am this morning. decided taking the rest of 53 over to 85 and up to charlotte was the best idea. it very well may have, but it took a lot longer than i expected to get to 85. not to mention the GPS unit kept getting confused on the rural backroads. arg.

saw one major accident, one modular house that “was” on a trailer…no longer on a trailer (as in fell off on the side of the road), a car-mover truck (whatever those ones that carry like 8-10 at a time are called) had a tire blow out in front of me and he safely stopped the truck on the downward part of a WV hill/mountain, a chevy avalanche decide to go off roading in the median at 70+ and almost roll, a guy who i was playing “leapfrog” with at 85-90 mph get caught right in front of me in VA, sit in stop and go traffic for 4 miles/1 hour 30 minutes for 1 contruction worker in the tunnel seperating va and wva, and to top it off, the lowest gas price i saw/paid was $1.93 somewhere in SC.

now, some of my observations

women have no place at all on any highway/thruway/road if they are driving. including my girlfriend.

a V1 is a MUST-HAVE for long trips (but is by no means a license to speed)

where a corolla is great for the mileage of such a trip, it is definatly not the kind of car you want to drive to or from georgia and back in.

Ohio sucks

the west virginia turnpike is extortion

west virgina sucks

virginia sucks

flashing your highbeams to get someone to move over works way better than i ever thought before

women have no place at all on any highway/thruway/road if they are driving.

and last, but not least…

Ohio sucks.

walter, if you even read this, i completely forgot to get ahold of you for a beer :hay:

Quoted for truth.

I have made it to Miami in 18 hours before.

i drive to fl all the time way cheaper then flying and you have your own car when your there it helps having an extra driver makes the time go by much faster taking shifts

gosh i love NYS. :cjerk:

Why the hell would you ever drive to Georgia if you are not staying an extended period of time? You can fly for about $200 round trip. About the same as the fuel you spent minus about 10 hours.

Also, did you hit Ohio leaving from WNY to Georgia? If so, you went out of your way…

yeah cant believe you took the Ohio route…only to go through WV anyways…

oh well

If you have a TDI, you can make it work. Mapquest claims it is 905 miles each way to and from Atlanta. My car goes about 750 miles on a $45 fill up. Call it 2250 miles after driving around atlanta for a bit.

$45 x 3 = $135

So you are saving $65 plus the cost of a rental car when you get down there.

It’s feasible.

i go philly to buffalo once a month and that’s really starting to become an annoying trip, i can’t imagine 18hrs. straight driving.

And what’s the % of people who own diesel’s? Maybe 2%??

Let’s be realistic.

yeah totally not worth it, unless your with several people, then their airline fares add up alot, and you can save big money by driving versus flying.

yeah seriosuly, so you mind trading cars next time I have to drive down to NC?

LOL… yea during my move down here… the drive through VA and WV both sucked ass. It seemed like the drive through those was sooooo long

:tup: for the V1…

and corolla may seem bad… try a 16ft budget truck while trailering a damn car :lol:

hahaha… yes, Ohio is evil

I cringe everytime I have to drive thru that godforsaken state… shit, they (people from Ohio) even drive like tards out of their home state. I mean, it must be taught to them at a very early age that you should always do exactly the speed limit (or atleast the speed of traffic) in the passing lane… and not to give that lane up for anything short of a police car.

I liked thedrive thru the rest of those states though (when I drove thru a few years ago)… although, I’m not sure if I’d do it again lol

Ha, my family is from columbus, ohio. Get anywhere near the city limits, people drive nuts. 85-90 on the interstate is the norm. Much like the QEW in ontario.

1: me and gf = 2 plane tickets + rental car. i NOW know its more than worth it but at the time i was more concerned with $$

1. taking 77 instead of 79 shaved about an hour/ hour and a half off the trip.

I agree, but this one of the big reasons I purchased the car. Random inexpensive roadtrips :slight_smile:

i also spent about ~$70 in gas on the way down and a little more than that to atl/back home

Were you going to like the super West part of GA? Otherwise, 90 to 79 to 77 to 19 to 77 to 85 is faster.

when i drove to tampa i took the 90 to 71 to 75 and got there in 12 hours no radar no tickets

on the way back i took the 4 to 95 to 77 to 79 to 90 and took forever

avoid the mountains, WV and VA suck, the coast sucks