Drunk guy loses leg. Sues.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Drunk-hockey-fan-down-a-leg-up-2-33-million-fr;_ylt=AnZHlgKg3gvEae6Pnw5DcDZ7vLYF?urn=nhl,142601

…really?

Cliffs:
Drunk guy falls in path of subway train
Train runs over guys leg
Guy sues for $2.33 Million and wins

wasn’t there a story in the news recently too for a widow that sued a cigarette company for her husband’s death because he died of smoking related causes?

just heard about this…what a tragedy. For society.

Honestly that wouldn’t suprise me. Always thought that line in liar liar about the secretaries friend being sued when a burglar fell onto a knife was a joke. Now i realize it’s not out of the question.

read this in the paper today…i honestly cannot believe what we are coming to…

We need a common sense law. Where if a person yields common sense they get nothing.

Im going to sue if people dont start responding to me trying to buy parts.

Have fences in the way? or something? C’mon have you guys ever been in a subway, 50% of people are drunk.

the only people that may be liable would be the bar he was drinking at for not cutting him off

Take a cab, oh no he has to go near the road! This is absurd, guy doesn’t deserve a dime.

I’m going to get you black out drunk and throw you in traffic.

I don’t see anything about this guy being pushed?

The jury knows that the its not the trains fault. But the fuckin bleeding hearts say that “they have the money, and he needs it” regardless of actual fault. Gotta love civil cases, you can be totally in the right, and still lose millions cause they feel bad for him.

I can understand the possibly winning if this was a car accident and the guy was in the road. Just because something is in the way doesn’t give you the right to hit hit. But the fact that this is a subway and you’re not supposed to be on the tracks is BS to me.

I would have put him majority liable if it was me. Im going to walk out on the tracks behind my house and then sue. I could use the money.

I would say he is 100 percent liable. No majority BS, he wasn’t supposed to be there, he got hit, he gets to live with no leg.

If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

I’m in for a common sense law…hell that should be part of reproducing as well. The jurors are retarded as well as the judge and lawyers in the case.
Really how is a train going 50 mph suppose to avoid this guy? Not like a car when it can swerve out of the way.

Another case of juries being made up of 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty.

because the subway driver had time to stop the train but did not. Smiley added that Dibble’s drunkenness did not excuse the driver, who said in a court deposition that he mistook Dibble for an inert object.

And THAT is why he won

^ So now every time they see a box on the tracks they’ll be pulling the emergency stop and 20+ passengers will sue because they fell over and scraped their knee.

Oh, and not to mention that in a civil case is about the level of the Burden of Proof. In a criminal case it is “proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt”. With a civil case it is based upon the preponderance of the evidence, this means that the entire jury didn’t have to agree with them. I believe in NYS it is %60, but I haven’t taken law classes in some time.