Latest local lawsuit

Discuss:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/niagara-county/article879111.ece

Cliffs: Sheriff hears over the radio to be on the lookout for a car that left the scene of a minor traffic incident. While responding at high speed crashes his patrol car into a guardrail, loses both legs, and sues the driver who left the scene.

Absolutely no.

While I respect police and the job they do, they’ve been getting an increasingly bad rep and this doesn’t help. Not only was the original accident minor, but he wasn’t even i pursuit of the suspect. Also, these sue everybody for anything done wrong to me lawsuits need to fucking stop.

I should be elected dictator of this stupid f’in country so I can clean house. I’d rule with an iron fist of awesomeness.

This lawsuit is ridiculous, the cop should be made to pay the defendants lawyer’s fees, all court costs and then be fined for being a total and complete jackass.

Got my vote. Gotta evaluate the risk, reward, and possible consequence. Officer obviously did none of the above.

wat

people are lucky i’m not a judge

america, fuck yeah!

Seriously. Officers of the law should be your above average citizen. They should have to use better judgement and adequately assess the situation. If you want to act like a looser, you should get treated like a looser.

I would say this is nonsense, but that’s what I said about the neon kid that got charged with manslaughter when the guy he was racing crashed his car.

Anything is possible when you have good lawyers and bad judges.

LOOSER!

^ Unfortunately there’s a lot of truth in this.

In an ideal world it would be thrown out of court and the cop would end up paying court costs for everyone involved as well as a large fine for filing a lawsuit when it was his own poor decisions that were responsible for his injuries. Of course for that to happen it would require massive tort reform and that’s not going to happen with the power that the trial lawyers lobby holds.

Total bullshit

He should be fired for putting other drivers at risk by driving at a wreckless speed while pursuing a vehicle that wasn’t putting anyone at risk. Like others mentioned, risk and reward play a large role here. It is why in a lot of areas, they’ve stopped doing risky maneuvers when they are chasing legitimate runners. It puts too man innocent people at risk.

A little more info I found from the original case when the hit and run guy went to trial. He didn’t even leave the scene in his car. The cops showed up and he ran off through the woods on foot.

And just like the guy who left his jeep in drive while he grabbed his son, this cop should be given a speeding ticket. If there was no emergency then there was no reason to speed. Sorry bro.

So what I gather here is that, If I were a cop/trooper and decided that ok, I’m going to try and get to the scene as quick as possible… but I’m going to crash my car on the way. Can I sue someone now becasue I crashed the car on the way to the scene. Thats what really is coming from this.

“Our focus here is on responsibility, holding the person responsible who, if he had stopped, this never would have happened,” O’Brien said.

This is the part that gets me in the article. This probably still might have happened, as he still may have made the decision to get there at a less than prudent speed and still crashed. Being that it was at 1:15am, he could have hurried thinking that he’d get himself a DUI arrest and hurried to get there.

lol.
Everyone hates on the cop…AND I GET IT.

However he LOST HIS LEGS? While doing his job chasing down a scumbag?

I hope he wins. Rest of his life is pretty horrible from here on out.

No one made him haul ass to find someone who raced away on foot. I mean, where is he going to go… home eventually. Take his information and pick him up later. I learned that from a very seasoned Erie county sheriff. Younger guys want to rush in and think later. Taking time to stop and think can prevent situations like this.

I feel for him losing his legs doing his job. However he did not work safely and that is a responsibility of the job. He put himself in unnecessary risk. He is responsible for his loss.

It’s horrible based on a stupid decision.

i was just talking to a guy at work that grew up in the area. everyone in ransomville, if theyre not related, they atleast know who everyone else is. he said the man involved in the fender bender is a regular, they usually find him at his house so there really was no reason for a high speed repsonse. also said that the officer tried sueing those that saved his life(one being my coworkers cousin), saying that if they would have left him in the car that he would still have his legs, apparently the officer didnt realize his legs had already been severed while he was in the car. after hearing this i would say the dude is a scumbag that abused his powers as an officer and doesnt want to accept the risk that involves.