DSG vs Manual: 2012 Jetta GLI

Pretty sure you can go to VW and ask them to flash it onto your computer. if not there is always the HPA DSG program.

Does the '12 GLI DSG autoblips when you downshift? just wondering.

My favorite part about driving a standard transmission car is heel/toe shifting and I would definitely miss the involvement of my left foot. That being said, I’ve driven a dsg gti once and it was very cool. I’m just not sure if I’d get bored with it or not. I never got to beat on it either so I can’t give much input that way either. Definitely stop in and see Chris so you can drive both and decide.

You left foot brake if you drive DSG and that would be the only reason I choose a DSG tranny over manual, but ONLY if the DSG autoblips.

That’d take some getting used to. :rofl I can see it now.

I have an '07 GTI DSG and I love it. After driving it for a while I learned to drive my ex’s manual '03 VW TDI and found it to be inconvenient. To me, manual was fun at first and I think if I had a track car I would really get into it. But for driving around the Albany area? I’ll take a slick DSG over any other transmission. It might also be worth noting that, at least in the GTI’s, the DSG was quicker to 60 MPH than the manual according to VW.

My '08 does. Pretty sure the '12 does too. (It only does this in Sport or Manual modes though)

Neither, because they are both garbage.

I would guess that it does. I’ve driven quite a few '12 Passat TDI & 3.6 VR6 with the DSG and they do it when downshifting, so I would assume the '12 Jettas have it as well.

all DSG’s will dlip on the down shift.

in my '13 CC with the 2.0L and the DSG the car will blip on the down shift and upshift smoothly while on the gas.

that being said, i would take a stick over DSG in a GLI just because of what the car is.

$1,100 less to get a stick, and no $250 service every 40k miles. plus no worries of holding more power if you go with some stage kits.

thats just my .02

now if i didn’t know you and you came in to ask me what i thought, i would sell you whatever i had on the lot like a boss!

Definitely would get the manual in that car. The DSG is sick if you want an auto though!

now all you need to do is buy it…lol

Haha. I’m just going to throw a new clutch in my car and drive it for another 5 years. Thanks for showing me the car though. My parents will be buying a VAG vehicle in the near future I’m sure.

DSG FTW! I could go on and on how much I love the DSG transmissions but you should really just drive one. I love mine more and more as I spend more time in the car. Sometimes I wish the TDI had a bit more power like a GLI (or more) and the DSG would be exponentially more fun.

As for power holding, they can handle much more then a manual transmission in several different aspects. First of all the weak point of any Audi/VW is the factory clutch. Even in just a chipped car, the clutch is at is limit (for a launch anyway) where as the DSG will take it like a champ. Second, as you start increasing power, you’re going to be ripping through the gears quicker like a boss however if you miss a gear, kiss your shift collars goodbye. Good luck mis-shifting a DSG ;).

Long story short, I was the person to bash an “automatic” to no end. I have owned one auto prior to this and it was swapped to manual within two weeks of owning it.

With all of that being said, I do still own two other manuals and I would miss driving manual if I didn’t own them. The DSG is 100% perfect for DD status, efficiency and fun.

Fun video of an APR stage 4 2.0 with a BONE stock DSG trans:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtO2dh8BCPA[/ame]

If that video doesn’t make you love a DSG, get a manual.

Haha love that vid! and that Trans!

The DSG was legit but I’d still get the manual. Personal preference.

So you dont want the best trans to ever exist?

No, I want a pickup truck with a 4 speed automatic.