BMW: SMG vs. 6 Spd

Is there a thread for this discussion already?

I did a search but our search function blows.

I test drove an SMG in two cars yesterday and it was pretty awesome but i keep forgetting to shift; too used to clutch pedal and shifter motions…

vote:

How old? I’ve driven a buddy’s e46 m3 with smg(2) and I absoloutly hated it after like 10 min.

I found it jerky at low speed traffic driving, ungodly harsh shifts when ripping on it.

I feel it’s like dsg, it will be cool for a week then totally loose it’s appeal and you’ll drive around in auto 90% of the time. Plus I believe it’s more expensive to maintain than a regular 6spd.

For me it’s manual > all

SMG II is a fucked, dimwitted pile of garbage, and they seem to always have stupid issues. E60 M5 SMG (whatever the fuck the annoyance is called in that car) didn’t seem much better either. Considering all the stupid cars they offer that shit in have perfectly acceptable spanish boxes available, I think its a waste of time.

Gay…and not in the cool way.

Sext me, i’ll talk shit to you about it forever.

2 clutches or stay with the manual.

love mt DSG audi, hate the SMGII in e46 m3s.

Worse than DSG. Get a manual or GTFO.

cool idea, but no thanks.

i like the 3rd pedal.

SMG I is shit.
SMG II is shit.
SMG III isn’t shit if you are beating on it, but for “slow” shifts at anything less than the top two harshness settings or in auto mode, it’s shit.

DCT is great though.

^spot on.

driving them back to back smg III felt slow after dct

Three pedals for me. Even in my TDi

X…

i dont know which version, it’s a 2009 - 2011 M3… i’ve now ruined the milk thread.

i will now tell the dude at BMW that my friends will make fun of me if i go without the 6 spd but there are so few of them available up here

Sure we will make fun of you. But hating your car cause it has a stupid transmission is much worse

honestly i could go either way on it. I’ll still have a manual tranny car in the driveway anyways so i wasn’t that bummed about going SMG.

MPD, you are really spot on with that assessment though. It felt great when giving it but when i was just doddling around i might as well have had it in auto.

I wish I knew what SMG was.

sequential manual gearbox. no clutch pedal. its what that weird round knob and steering wheel paddles are for lol

It’s like selecting “manual” in a video game. If you want one you might as well sit in your living room and play Forza for all the driver involvement it gives you.

A+

Manual…