VW GLI?

Whys the car have slower times on the manual, but the auto tiptronic reports back faster? i would think that knowing how to drive a manual properly this would be reversed? am i missing something?

I don’t think jesus could shift a manual faster than one of those an auto-manual (tiptronic) trannys.

faster shift + no need to release gas pedal

how is that not obvious?

Yeah i don’t think anyone can shift faster than an automatic/tiptronic

:scratch: I’m no Michael Schumacher but I think I could give a normal automatic/tiptronic a run for its money, a DSG/SMG/F1 style/e-gear style tranny I think would hand me my ass. There is a huge difference between an automatic and an automated manual.

fastest shifting automatic transmission is the DSG… the SMG has a torque converter the dsg has two wet clutches… shifts lightning fast. i’d deffintly consider as a next car…

SMG is by far the worst of the bunch, they are so hard to drive at low speed and forget parking it in a tight spot altogether!

:bowdown DSG tranny> you
theyre even more fun with the paddles right on ur wheel, so fun!

VW’s DSG / Audi’s S-Tronic shifts in 8ms. That’s right…8ms. The only faster transmission on the PLANET are the pneumatic transmission used in many F1 cars which shifts in 6ms. For referenced the BMW SMG shifts in 80ms. There’s no competition. Don’t even get me started on how perfectly it blips the throttle on downshifts either…it’s simply poetic. VAG owns everyone w/ the twin clutch auto-manual. End of story.

couldn’t of said it any better justin… the DSG “fart” is sounds sooo sweet!

who needs stick shift or a ferrari tranny? pft! 4 rings FTMFW :mwahaha

Any word on the PDK trannies? i.e. when they are due out and what they will be most similar to? I heard rumor they won’t be available on the turbo 911’s, truth or myth?

Porsche hasn’t finalized any details yet but they’re hoping to have it on their 2nd generation cars with FSI. 2009 is slated to be the first year to have FSI in the Porsche cars but we will see. The biggest challenge they’re facing is developing clutch discs to hold the amount of torque they’re requesting from the engines. Current generation S-Tronic/DSG transmissions are not recommended to run over 300ft/lbs before they start to slip. Porsche’s triple clutch will mostly likely be a ceramic composite and cost a pretty penny more than the current Tiptronic S they offer in their vehicles. P.S. having a triple clutch means 8ms upshifts and an estimated 16ms downshifts. The current DSG/S-Tronic downshifts are about 120ms including the rev matching. Ah yes, Porsche, there is no substitute:)

I wouldn’t trade a manual shifting 6 speed for a dsg to save my life. They shift fast? Yes, can you sustain a shift passed redline to trailbrake into a turn? No.

^^^ Ding ding ding winner!

I’ll take a pneumatic tranny when the computer doesnt interfere with shifting. As in, if I’m at redline and downshift, it’ll blow the motor, thats the non-interference I’m looking for.

A lot of people on this forum don’t like driving through turns, it seems the bulk of the users are 1/4 mile/straight line street racers with a few autoX’ers in the mix.

I enjoy the feel and control of having a clutch and a true manual, however, I am a big fan of pushing technology and if anyone can do it right I’m sure it’s porsche. I don’t think P-car people will hesitate purchasing it regardless of the price. If it’s faster and will hold up I think they will be a hot commodity.

i’d have to agree 100% as well.

and yes, smg is ass when doing slow maneuvers… its too rough IMO.

ROWING THE GEARS YOURSELF FTMFW :number1