dsm throwing belts

anyone else have this problem. it’s a 95 eclipse. i put in a reman engine a few years ago, ran great for a yr or so, now if you take it over 5000rpm or so it will throw a belt. there is a very very very slight amount of play in the belt tensioner pully, think that’s’ the problem? or??? it’s been parked since last fall while he was going to college. he is now graduated but is moving to ohio to continue his schooling. i need to make it right for him.

What belt?

the one that spins the power steering.

all i can think of is to make sure its lined up and squared up with the other pulley.

Turbo or NT?

my 4g63 never tossed the power steering belt above any rpm, its not a common problem

non turbo.

i’ve heard of another person with the same problem and he never figured it out.

they look square. i’m gonna replace the bearing on the pully and try that.

buy a new belt while your at it, the old one will be glazed if the bearing was bad.

this is a new belt, as were the last 5 since it started tossing them last year.

make sure all pulley bolts are tight… i had a loose one and it threw a belt once. if that doesn’t work, run the car and have somone rev it up while you watch which pulley the belt isn’t centered on. its gotta be a bad bearing or not tensioned properly (these motors don’t have a spring tensioner, only tensioned by the bolt on the accessory)

i’ve tightened the belt extra tight, alittle loose, snug, etc it throws it the same every time. and they look to be centered on all pullys when spinning. all bolts are tight.

i’ve tightened the belt extra tight, alittle loose, snug, etc it throws it the same every time. and they look to be centered on all pullys when spinning. all bolts are tight. this has been a on going problem for probably 2yrs now. the car sits more than it’s driven due to the problem and him going to school.

Could it be a bent pulley or an unbalanced pulley that causes a wobble then whoosh there it goes?

i have a fairly bent power steering pulley on mine (it wobbles some) and it has never thrown a belt. this is definitely an interesting problem.

jay down at hybrid said he had a similar problem with one way back in the day.

How are the belts routed on those cars? does it drive directly off the crank pulley? Is the crank pully a 2 piece dampener with the rubber ring in between the 2 pieces?

My 90 turbo only threw it a couple times, and that was just because it was loose, and I was sick of hearing it squeaking, so I gave her hell, and the belt didn’t make it.

Is the belt coming a bit looser over time? That IS a common problem on DSMs.

i can go put a new belt on it right now, tighten it up. revit up and it comes right off in just a few revs.