DSM veterans, let talk

I have recently been toying with the idea of picking up a 2g DSM gst/gsx, it would not be my main transportation.

-reliability horror stories, are they true?
-how stout is the motor and drive train, can they support a gt3071r pusing 300-400hp range?
-OBD2 models, how is NY state inspection is the ecu able to be reflashed removing troublesome codes common on modified cars?
-Any recommendations,tips,etc?

Your going to have to find one well maintained, stock motor can handle up to 450hp stock, you will need to buy Boltons to achieve your hp, also like I said the car and motor have to be well maintained. Dsm link will take care of your cel issues, I’m sure a lot of dsm guys will chime In soon on this. Spend your time and money looking for something that wasn’t beat to piss. Also don’t bolt on a bigger turbo and expect the car to rape the streets you will need all the proper support mods. Of course there is crank walk on the 7bolt motor

I had a 1994 eagle talon Tsi awd and it never let me down or stranded, the motor and tranny were built proof, the underneath tho was hell.

@Devioustsi is your man for dsm needs if talk to him if I was you…

I understand upgrade paths on cars quite well…and i don’t expect to just “slap” a huge turbo on and clean up, i know all about supporting mods. You are claiming the motor will handle 450hp, how about the transmission? I am without a doubt looking to push past boltons, unless boltons(i do not consider a upgraded turbo a bolton, regardless if it bolts up easy in the stock location) make 300+whp on this car. Turbos currently considered are 20g,gt28, and gt30

Meh the trannys are shoot and miss, and I’m just letting you kno what a lot of people do with most dsms. I mean these cars are built for boost from the factory.

Had a 98 gsx, don’t buy one money pit. Sold to friend he couldn’t get it running then he sold it to another and they put a whole new motor to only have it overheat and so it sits again , if you wanna build or fix one ur self I know where the car sits today and its a California car. Guy would prolly let it go for cheap since the issue why it’s not running is still unknown

Sent from my iPhone 5

It’s all about the tune.

These cars have sooo many different ways you can go as far as mods go. You can buy just about everything after market.

The newest ones are 15 years old though so if you buy one with a stock, never rebuilt transmission, and you increase power, expect to need a transmission sooner or later.

Chris Orzech who doesn’t really post on here anymore swore by used transmissions and got his car into the 10’s on a stock tranny.

And not all 7 bolts crankwalk. If you buy something with lots of miles, like 100k+, if it was gonna walk, it would of already.

Cory Bowers from STM ran a 9sec quarter with a stock 7 bolt motor. The head had never been off.

Go check out that one House mentioned. If its a good car and needs just a little finish it might be a nice project if you can get it for a decent price.

Id definitely buy a AWD model. If you dont, you’ll wish you had.

DeviousTSI knows the platform extremely well.

STM does solid work as well and has just about anything you can think of for the cars.

All good dudes!

And the horror stories you hear are mainly people that don’t maintain what they have. Remember again, 15 year old vehicle at the minimum. Any make and model is going to have its gremlins at that age.

The only ppl that have problems are those that just try slapping a bunch of parts on and trying to make power without repairing or maintaining
Otherwise they are fine, as any other modified car is going to be.

Ahh I can hear the notorious 4g63 lash adjusters when they shit the bed

Sent from my iPhone 5

Thank you for repeating me, lol.

Was waiting for you to speak up lol.

I miss my moneypit. It hardly ever ran, one expensive issue or another, and then it finally crankwalked. So I don’t miss it THAT much but if I was rich and could afford the moneypit, I’d get another. I’d be a bit more scared though, given how much older they are now.

buy a 1g instead. hard to find good ones though.

I second this…