duramax 6600... what yall think??

Im thinking of trading my truck in on a new one. Right now im driving a 99(old body style) red extended ab shortbed Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71. Its got the vortech 5.7l 350. I have had the truck since february and i have put 10,000 miles on it! Its killing me on gas. and im just tired of it. So i was in elizabeth city this past week and out of the corner of my eye i spotted a bad mama jama truck. a 2001 Chevy silverado 2500HD 4x4 with the duramax 6600 diesel, all black, extended cab, shortbed. It brought a tear to my eye! an amazing truck. so i pulled in and the owner said he has had it for 3 weeks and wants to sell it. It has 84,000 on it but comes with a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission. which is awesome, not a thing wrong with the truck, except that the last owner smoked and its got some nicotine on the windows, but who cares i smoke anyways. so NADA lists the truck at about 24,000$ and he told me he would sell it for 20,000. or cheaper. my bank valued it at 19,500$ so i was just wondering what yall think about it. And what yall think about the Duramax Diesel.

do you actually need all that power? if so, then they are great motors. it’ll pull a house down. but if youre looking at it just to save on gas then i dont really think its the best idea. sure you get more miles out of diesel, but you also have all the extra weight, tall gears, etc of a 3/4T truck (the 2500HD are essentially 1 ton trucks with single wheels).

$19.5, take it and take care of it and you’ll 250K out of her.

It sounds like a decent deal, although i don’t think fuel miliage is a good reason to jump up into a HD truck. Like mike said, you get alot of negatives with the weight. Now if you have a use for the power (towing or hauling) then go for it. Although GM now gives the employee discount on 2006 silverados. You can get a similar 2006 for ~$27000. The 2006 has a good deal more power then the 2001s i believe.

yea i think the 2006 duramax has something like 605-610ft-lbs now so it could claim title of most torque in its class.

thats true, but its a good deal, im gonna take it and run. I have to have a 4x4 truck, if you knew where i lived you would understand. seeing a car around here is like seeing a lambo in buffalo. and my truck is getting like 15mpg right now, and she has 104k on her. i tow boats quite a bit, but not all the time. just want a diesel truck.