DVD playback on laptop not working

I always watch DVD’s on my laptop when I am in bed and for the last 3 years that has never been a problem.

Well the other night I was watching a show I downloaded and it didn’t have audio so I put a bunch of codec on my computer until I had audio. Then tonight I go to try to watch a DVD and my computer locks up.

So I go and uninstall the codecs I put in the night before and now it doesn’t lock up with I start WinDVD but it certainly won’t play the DVD.

I tried to do it in Windows Media Player and I get this message “Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.”

So I download the latest Video Card driver and I still get this message. What the fuck? How can this be fixed??

Nothing?

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

try that, but if its protected ur out of luck.

WMP sucks balls, as does windvd.

[quote=“BuickGN,post:3,topic:37627"”]

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

try that, but if its protected ur out of luck.

WMP sucks balls, as does windvd.

[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean, if what is protected?

WMP is not my first choice and WinDVD was what came on the computer and it worked great up until now. I have a copy of PowerDVD at home and I will try as well. I wish I know what was deleted and how the hell it happened.

do you have the latest divx codecs on it?

[quote=“JustinH,post:5,topic:37627"”]

do you have the latest divx codecs on it?

[/quote]

I think those are what screwed it up in the first place.

I’ve got WinDVD back now. Fortunately Dell included that disc with my laptop when I bought it some 5 years ago. I didn’t want to load right away which made me think I had a CD/DVD drive issue, when it finally did load the disc and install WinDVD again, the DVD playback was all choppy.

I took the drive out, cleaned the lens and pulled a little chunk of dog fur out from the spinner thinger in the center. Seems to be working well now.

VLC media player if it isn’t working right…that program plays everything under the sun.