I need a DVD Decoder...

Got a new laptop and it has a dvd player on it, but didn’t come with a decoder, so DVDs will not play. Anyone have one?

Thanks!

are you talking about a harware or software decoder??

google it…if not ppl on here usually will post it up by tonight. what are you using for a media player?

Computer brand? dvd drive brand? dvd drive serial num or brand num?

The only thing I would be able to play it through is Windows Media Player 10, and it says that there is no DVD decoder detected. I have a Dell Latitude. When I google it, they want about 20 bux for the decoder either through power dvd or some program like that.

ur computer would have came with software that has the decode built in

i’m thinking you might ahve a hardware issue where the actualy hardware decoder is broke

I had this problem before… Chino came through with the answer last time. It isn’t a hardware problem… I will get the link…

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/plugins.aspx#DVDDecoder

not all computers with XP have decoders on them.

That sounds strange. I would think that if it comes with a dvd drive that it automatically can play dvds… or should be able to at least. I would give Dell a call and see what happened. Maybe they can hook you up with a disk or something to install unless it is hardware which may just be the case.

negitive… my old man just got a laptop (from dell) with a DVD-burner and it didnt have any codecs installed for playing dvd’s. I installed nero suite and problem solved. If you have nero… install it, it should install nero showtime aswell :tup: (which contains the codecs I believe)

ohh yeah… good call :tup: