DVD ripping program?

what do you guys use to rip dvds?
whats free or cheap thats decent?
or what can be limewired tahts good?

i use dvd shrink, ratdvd, and/or clonedvd.

hands down best IMHO for ripping dvd’s or making cd/dvd iso’s is DVDDecrypter (sp?)

best of all, its free

dvdshrink, dvd decrypter, or dvdfab decrypter. depending on the condition and encoding of the original disc. btw it’s not “dvd-ripping” it’s “backing up” your collection. :wink:

i just wanna put it to my computer so i don’t have to have to disc in to access it at all…
and i have both dvd shrink and decryptor… i dunno how to use it to transfer them to my puter making them either avi or mpeg… any help there would be great!

That’s not “ripping.” That’s converting, and it’s a pain in the ass. If you find an easy, consistent, and successful way to do this without humongous software installs, let me know. Converting a .vob to anything usable in a video editing program (.avi, .mpeg, .mov) is a time-consuming, complicated process.

well tahts what i wanna do… i wanna be able to watch it on my computer or edit and its not a DVD movie persay… its Episiodes of a tv show that are on DVD so each episode is like 45 minutes to an hour

any moire ideas?

The resulting files (on the DVD) are still in .vob format. Good luck! :slant:

well you could try copying from the dvd to the hdd in “iso” or “disc image” mode. that would give you an image to load with an emulator program such as daemon tools. that’s basically the same as loading it off the disc, only it won’t read even half as quickly… that is if that’s all you really want it for…

btw if i were you, i’d decode it with a “shrinking” program, then do a simulated “burn” to the hdd in “image” mode. that will reduce the size it takes up on the hdd. 4 gigs vs 8+gigs. :slight_smile:

so pretty much in order to get this to do what i want its like not gonna happen and each episode is not 4 to 8 gigs i can garantee that… i just want a few on here… not like all of them

if they are in a retail dvd format right now – you can not easily selectively pull off each episode. if you are only looking for a few to watch on your pc only, then goto : www.torrentspy.com. type in what you’re looking for and download the episodes you want, some in HD. fin.

hmmm… maybe if you copy it to an ISO, then convert it to VCD with nero? I believe it will let you do that…

either that, or do a search for divx.

honestly though, your better off leaving the files as .vob’s as for quality vs. size your not gonna get any better.

hmmm what the hell is a torrent? well i tried to dvd shrink n all that it will take about 5 hours to put all 4 episodes on my computer not worth that wait sorry lol

5 hours? wtf do you have a 486? lol

a whole dvd will take 30 mins or less. that will get you the vobs and ifos, but you’d have to simulate a burn to get an image.

anyway just download the movies from torrentspy. search for “torrent” in google or something if you’re lost. teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish.

www.vcdhelp.com

read it, live it, love it

vcd quality = :tif: though…

just dl the episodes you want bro. like i said some are even in HD. i got my gf the whole “Grey Anatomy” series in HD, it looks hotttt on the xbox…

vcd sucks ass, i wouldent even waste my bandwidth dl vcd, even svcd sucks ass imo.

How about this… explain exactly what you want to do, and what you have, and let’s start over from there.

Retail DVD?
Want to view or edit? Both?
Want to reburn to DVD?

How about this… explain exactly what you want to do, and what you have, and let’s start over from there.

Retail DVD? yes Smallville season 4
Want to view or edit? Both? Both
Want to reburn to DVD? negatory

so yeah maybe thats a little better explanation

You’ll first need to use DVDShrink (or some other decryption application) to decode the security algorithm.

Then you need to use something to convert the resulting .vob files to .avi or .mpg.

Assuming everything works up to this point, you should be free to view and edit.

This is SO easy in theory, but I’m yet to convert a .vob successfully. Some users of Vegas (my preferred choice for video editing, which I actually BOUGHT :eek: !!) claim you can just rename a .vob to .mpg and import them into Vegas and other editing applications. I say no. It’s never worked for me.