E bay short shifter

i did do a search. did not come up with much accept people talking about getting one.

skip all the mumbo jumbo. i bought one. cheap as shit i figured why not.

well. i guess i’m asking anyone with a short shifter in general, any noises, leaks, installation problems? because i have all 3 of those problems.

at first there was no problems. was quiet, smooth…nice. not even 15 km’s later 1st and 2nd gear after about 3,500rpm the trans just rattles and moans and you feel it all through the shifter. 3rd and 4th…have yet to hear anything. 5th and reverse same thing. 5th is more of a moan however.

now i now this is an e shit product. but im just asking in general someone elses experience. e bay or not.
gonna throw her in the air tommorow and see exactly what is leaking and try to pin point this noise as well. and did i mention only 5 of 6 bolt holes lined up???

and yes i have the o.e.m shifter bushing installed

i got one, but i was overall pretty okay with it.

I would recommend anyone else that is going to go this route to pay the extra few bucks and get a bings though. its local, and he sells the “top” ebay one for less than you could get it into canada.

5 of my 6 holes lined up, so i drilled the other one.

leaks a bit, but i’m gonna get a proper gasket in it to stop that. Rattles- yes. deal with it, I’ve got the oem shifter bushing and its livable. solid short shifters are loud, thats all there is to it.

i had a version 1 (megan/ebay/bings) and they are shit.

i guess u bought the version 2? link ?

i had version 1 in my old s14 for 3yrs.

it was the first mod i had ever done and it was great.

it rattled for a few months but went away.

best $40 I ever spent imo.

you just need to replace the bushing at the bottom and you’re good to go.

i had a bings in my old S13, version 1 i guess? it rattled at high rpms in first and second, other than that it was fine. all the bolt holes lined up and it didn’t leak.

i have some other type of short shifter that came with my sr motorset, one of the ones that clamps onto the OEM base… i wish i knew what brand (doesn’t have any markings). it’s excellent, never rattled once, install is simple, no leaks at all. does anyone know which brand of short shifter clamps onto the base (if that makes sense)?

there are two different kinds of shifters… the one with the shifter plate and the one that is just the rod…

tomei, C’s and Nismo do the rod-type, Megan originally only had that one as well… its the cheaper one usually.

the one that replaces the whole shifter, including the plate, is more of a B&M copy. There are a few guys selling it now, i know Megan is selling the V2 these days as are a couple other guys… i have the V3.

either way, there are some means to make it feel better, but i think i’ll just shut up about that and tell the guys that buy from me…lol… it’s nothing we havent discussed at length on here in the past… it might be the kind fo stuff that is just common knowledge actually…

get an OEM nissan shifter bushings and pack the shifter with grease… that cures it for most people.

Just get a Tomei or C’s. You won’t regret it.

I have a Tomei and I love it, doesn’t rattle, make noise, and it feels really good.

as i had said in my first post. i HAVE the O.E.M shifter bushing already!

read please!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/89-94-NISSAN-240SX-S13-RACING-SHORTS-SHIFTER-90-91-92_W0QQitemZ360096561784QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360096561784&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A2|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

im thinking of buying that shifter… where does it leak from ? which of the bolts didnt line up ?

center passengers bolt hole is to far towards the back of the car. i’m assuming thats where it’s leaking from. i’m gonna be bringing her in to check her out in a bit.

the shifter itself. well they say it’s cnc aluminum. it’s steel. the shifter collar is cnc aluminum. the throw is fackin nice. huge improvement. yet unless the rattling and bearing type noises can be rid of i will be buying a b&m.

try it out for yourself. it’s dirt cheap. thats the only reason i did. i figure why not?

i have the newer version of the shifter in stock and will sell it to SON guys for like $82 shipped… should end up being within $2-$3 after shipping and exchange from those guys.

i’ve never heard of anyone say the bolts dont line up, that is sillyness.

i’ve had this shifter on my car for 4 years with no issues… same tranny too.

maybe i’ll run some kind of winter special on them… if you have issues i can always do returns too… i dont know why you guys bother with ebay to save pennies and run into shit like this.

as I said before- buy a bings local. I wish I had. the rattle you might be getting could come from the “counterweight” being loose on the shaft. it doesn’t sit tight between the top snap ring and bottom lip so I jammed another snap ring in the groove to hold it tight. the only rattle I get is first and second high RPM. The rattle is caused by the lack of metal retaining clips on the side “nubs” that fit in the groove and are held in by springs.

I don’t have any pictures of what i’m talking about but I looked at a friends B&M when it was apart. the clips stop the nubs from rattling against the sides of the casing.

anyway. buy bings, or find the rattle on yours and make it work.

i have a ebay one…
street use is ok, but at high rpms it will make a big rattling noise…

as i said bing. it was cheap. why not. if i can’t make it work. i’ll buy a b&m. you say not to cheap out…okay.

i have fixed the shifter the best i could. we’ll se what happens. silicone is curing now.

re-drilled, filed and packed full of grease.

just to make things clear. i never expected it to work like a 300 sum odd dollar shifter. but it was cheap as shit. if it don’t work i cut my 40 dollar loss. woopy shit.

ka24power. i knew that way before i installed it. so i put extra o-rings. nice and snug.

good shit, hopefully it’ll be a little quieter now.

much much better now. still have a bit of a bearing/moaning type noise that trips me out. but all in all 100x’s better than before

silly or not…check it. no lie.

bullet aluminum ftw :smiley:

I have Bings version 3 or w/e, (same as the ebay one im assuming) And I love it. Awsome feel, I havnt done much high rpm driving with it but havnt noticed any vibrations or noises from daily driving. no complaints, good piece.

my base plate was aluminum. super easy to drill through for the “wrong” hole