E-Brake Cable Replacement

Hey everyone.

I was wondering how hard it is to replace an ebrake cable on a 1991 240sx?

What’s envolved, what tools are needed and level of experience mechanically incline wise?

My ebrake has’nt been working for a while and I figured it was because the car was in dire need of rear pads. Well I replaced them today and hoped it would solve that problem. The brakes work sooooo much better but the ebrake still won’t hold. I think I may have stretched the cable.

I know about the adjustment nut under the boot, which I’m gona try, but if that does’nt work I will have to replace the cable.

So any help here, perferabley from people who have done it, would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

Thanks guys and take care.

Easy 8)

the piece where the one cable splits into two rear cables is the part that may give you a little bit of trouble. usually it is rusted together. what worked best for me was to just stick a screwdriver in between the top and bottom of the piece, and pry it open a bit (warp the piece a bit, it’s metal, so no worries). the cable end should then break loose, and you can move the cable to the side and up to pull it out and put a new one in.

its quite simple to replace the cable from the connection back, but i’m not sure about in front of the cable because i’ve never done it. it seems simple enough though, just drill the piece out from the ebrake handle, and put the new piece in. the rest of it is just unbolting 2 bolts on each cable that hold it to the bottom of the car, bending a clamp out of the way to get the cable loose, and one bolt at the rear caliper. that last bolt at the caliper might give you a bit of a problem breaking it free, since it is in a tight spot, i broke a 1/4 ratchet in the process :oops:. good thing for mastercraft warranty :lol:. since i broke the ratchet, i used a wrench and it was fine. oh and make sure you block off the front wheels and disable the ebrake, to relieve all the tension from the cable.

Hey thanks a lot man. It does sound simple enough and hopefully it’ll actually BE that easy! :lol:

Where the clamp holds the 2 cables, heat up the ball that holds the cable that you want to change. The ball will melt it’s made to. Then put in the new cable.