E-Brake doesnt work.

My e-brake doesnt work! I took off the console covering it and don’t feel and looseness on the cable, so does anyone have any suggestions on how I might fix this or where to look next? Thanks guys!
Jeff :lol:

I would jack up the car and get a buddy to operate the handle for you while you track the cable under the car.

Does the ebrake handle feel normal but just not lock up you back breaks or does it feel all loose?

It feels normal, just doesnt work. :cry:

do u use the ebrake often?
could be a siezed caliper

I bought the car like this, so what would a siezed caliper mean?
Thanks

From not using the ebrake for a long time, then cranking on it. Sitting lets the rust and dirt build up then it jams all that crap into the works when you use it.It could also be the cable binding at a transition along the cable somewhere. That might be why it still feels tight, its pulling but just bending something. You need someone to operate it while you are underneath to see where the tension ends up. Jack her up, pull the rear wheels and get someone to help you out.

i shouldve asked first, but what kind of car do u have…

if it has drums in the back, it may be as simple as adjusting the rear brakes if they are drum

another thing you can try is adjusting the handle tension (this probably wont work though, but it wont hurt to try). you can do this by pulling up the hand brake all the way, and somewhere in the boot there should be a little hole with a 10mm bolt in it. keep tightening that bolt until the hand brake feels a little tighter, careful not to break the bolt though.

it’s an 89 240SX, and its got disk brakes all around.

My e-brake doesnt work! I took off the console covering it and don’t feel and looseness on the cable, so does anyone have any suggestions on how I might fix this or where to look next? Thanks guys!
Jeff :lol:

I would jack up the car and get a buddy to operate the handle for you while you track the cable under the car.

Does the ebrake handle feel normal but just not lock up you back breaks or does it feel all loose?

It feels normal, just doesnt work. :cry:

do u use the ebrake often?
could be a siezed caliper

I bought the car like this, so what would a siezed caliper mean?
Thanks

From not using the ebrake for a long time, then cranking on it. Sitting lets the rust and dirt build up then it jams all that crap into the works when you use it.It could also be the cable binding at a transition along the cable somewhere. That might be why it still feels tight, its pulling but just bending something. You need someone to operate it while you are underneath to see where the tension ends up. Jack her up, pull the rear wheels and get someone to help you out.

i shouldve asked first, but what kind of car do u have…

if it has drums in the back, it may be as simple as adjusting the rear brakes if they are drum

another thing you can try is adjusting the handle tension (this probably wont work though, but it wont hurt to try). you can do this by pulling up the hand brake all the way, and somewhere in the boot there should be a little hole with a 10mm bolt in it. keep tightening that bolt until the hand brake feels a little tighter, careful not to break the bolt though.

it’s an 89 240SX, and its got disk brakes all around.