Easy way to find homes for rent?

I live in a $1,000/mo. apartment that doesn’t include any utilities or cable (acceptable price range). It is a great new place with full appliances, walk in closet, central heat and air, and in-unit washer/dryer (a must.) It has a pool, gym and sauna but those aren’t necessary at all to me. It is also only 20-25 minutes drive to downtown which I don’t mind but around a lot of stuff. (Sheridan and Transit area)

I am thinking of getting a dog (around 50lbs) and the place doesn’t allow them and will add 50% rent if I do… which… sucks. Hence my dilemma of not wanting to move but having to actually look! (lease up in 3 months)

I have been looking all day at apartments in the area that are nice and have washer/dryer in unit and are at least 900+ sq. ft. They’re either 15 extra minutes each way to downtown or cost $1400/month. I checked all of craigslist apartments, luxuryaptwny.com and all of the standard buffalo apartment websites. If the apartment is in the ideal spot and price range, it doesn’t have washer/dryer in-unit!

I’m now thinking that perhaps renting a decent home for around the same price I pay now may be a better idea. However, craigslist has maybe 5 and they’re all crappy, and I have no clue where else to look.

Anyone have any ideas for me? I’m so stressed out about this search, I’m at a loss for knowing the next step.

Buying a house is not an option right now. I just don’t want to deal with owning a house as anything in my price range will be older. I don’t want an old 70’s house…

loft downtown?

and $1k/month is a sizeable mortgage.

Most people who rent homes are going to have dog restrictions too.

http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Display.aspx?EndecaId=OODLERENT9837089574E6F069B-E71c-419a-8f4d-D65a00468cdf9f75034e-Aaf5-4843-975d-93d241afcce0

Not real big, but probably similar sq/ft as an apartment but no neighbors through walls.

Are you looking in the area you’re in now or downtown?

better off getting a mortgage and selling the house down the line. at least you’ll build some equity instead of pissing $ away.

Yeah, so you can end up like my friends who moved to NC two years after buying their house and are now renting there while stuck trying to sell their house here. You’re not building equity those first few years, just paying interest.

If you’re looking for a place for a year or two, I’d rent. 3-4 years maybe considering buying if you want to gamble on the economy recovering and housing values going up. More than 5 years give serious thought to buying.

good luck man… tried doing the same, and now in a similar situation to yourself (paying way too much for a ‘nice’ place to live). Honestly, buying is going to be your best bet IMO… cheaper at least.

also, I wouldn’t say that you’re not going to get something “newer” either. Both of my siblings have houses… one paid around 100K and it’s completely remodeled… very very nice house. The other got a pretty nice place, a little smaller, that had also been completely remodeled for about 60K

you’re not going to find many rentals with everything you’re looking for, especially luxury, without paying a retarded premium.

then don’t move to NC :stuck_out_tongue:

I prefer the area I am in now. I like being in the suburbs by Transit and the Blvd for shopping, as well as being close to the thruway. I don’t want to head closer to downtown really as the closer you get the worse the people get… and the older the area.

EDIT: thanks for the quick link. I will have to inquire about that one… seems decent enough and doesn’t look like a 1930’s house in snyder :rofl:

If you like the area. there are a few houses for rent on greiner between eastbrooke and transit on the south side of the street. I dont know what kind of shape they are in. next thought look for a house to buy rates are low and houses are tough to sell= cheap price. there are a few for sale on ledge lane and clearview which are the next streets from sheridan/transit heading east

If I knew anything about mortgages I might have thought of buying. I don’t have the cash for a down payment at the moment, and that is something people always tell me I need.

With my $1,000/mo. current apartment rental payment, what cost of a house do you even look for? I am a novice when it comes to that and I just started renting.

I’d prefer just renting since I’m on a short timeline and house buying is overwhelming as well. I doubt I can afford a $200,000+ house.

I just ran my credit -> 780. So, I’m sure I can get a mortgate with low rates if I really wanted. I just have no clue.

Are those houses for rent listed on any websites, or did you happen to just see the signs on them?

Wow… that’s crazy prices.

When I was in Buffalo and apartment shopping (always) anything 1k+ was like a 3br house out in Clarence for rent or a downtown loft.

I say get the loft :wink:

well, to get some perspective, the mortgage payment on the 60K house with property taxes and insurance rolled in is just about 600.00 m/o IIRC… not too shabby. Plus think of all the $$$ you’d have left over to play around with or invest, especially if you get a roomate to help pay for the mortgage

again, loft downtown?

There is always signs on them

+1

I remember going to look at one and it was so baller but of course in Buffalo I did not want to pay 1k+ for a place to live. Now where I am that’s the minimum pretty much and I can’t find any sweet lofts or flats here.

loft = pimp pad, but extreme waste of $$$

Then you also have to figure in parking and other bullshit involved with city living.

Finding a newer/decent home for $60,000 sounds to me like I’m going to be settling for something that is O.K. but not great. Where are there $60k homes that aren’t 40 years old?

Agreed. It would be pimp but I actually hate just driving and parking in a city. I enjoy relaxation when I pull into my apartment and can just park my car and go inside. LOL

Whats wrong with a 40 yr old house? Builders built shit back then and gave a shit.

Why don’t you want old? 40 years isnt that bad considering how old some houses in the area are. As long as it’s fixed up decently. It will also depend on where you want to live. Go out towards hamburg/angola and you’ll probably find a lot of deals.

Plus, another up side is, if you don’t like it… change it to your liking :slight_smile: Not only is it adding value to the home, but it’s something you can be proud of if you do it yourself.

It would be pimp but I actually hate just driving and parking in a city. I enjoy relaxation when I pull into my apartment and can just park my car and go inside. LOL

amen