ecotec oil change question.

Hey guys, i’m looking at getting a 04-07 cobalt or ion.

I’ve noticed that instead of having an oil filter, it has this cartridge deal.

The cartridge is located on top of the engine, and is supposingly pretty simple to change.

Anybody know what the deal is with this cartridge? Do I need a special tool to get it apart, is it a pain?

Does the car need special O rings or anything to get the cartridge to seal, or does that come with the new oil cartridge?

im sure whatever it is, its going to be much easier to change than a regular oil filter by the sound of it haha

Its very simple to change all you need is a 1in socket i belive and a 3 or 6 in extension and a ratchet. when you unscrew the the cartridge the filter is still attached just pull the filter off change gthe big o ring pop the new filter on and screw it back in.

well…assuming that it isn’t the S/C model…all you need is a 32mm socket and about a 6-12 inch extension(if you don’t have the special “ecotec filter tool” which is pretty much a 32mm). Pretty easy on the non s/c cars…15mm for the pan bolt. the filters are pricey for some reason though($5-$7) and 5 quarts of whatever oil you desire, preferably 5w-30. Some cars are different though. Mine takes about 5 3/4 quarts…O there aren’t any O rings on the filter itself, unless the little green thing on the nubby end is one, which in that case they come out with the old one and are included on the new one…pretty hassle free

1 1/4" socket.

and this is in auto trader because???

[quote=“layzie,post:6,topic:29565"”]

and this is in auto trader because???

[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.

[quote=“eMKay,post:5,topic:29565"”]

1 1/4" socket.

[/quote]

most definately a 32mm socket…who knows why this is in the section though…

What, is this like vtek fluid or something? :stuck_out_tongue:

Mac Tools sells the socket for these motors for 10 bucks

1 1/4 ‘’ socket and 6 in extension…dont tighten the cap down as hard as you can or you will crack the cap.

Cartridges are nice and easy and the replacements always come with new o-rings and any hardware needed.

+1 on not over-tightening.

Make sure you get a shallow 32 mm socket. I had a deep socket and it would barely touch and rub on the plastic intake plentum. Once you get the socket it is easier than the traditional way.

[quote=“zmainiac,post:13,topic:29565"”]

Make sure you get a shallow 32 mm socket. I had a deep socket and it would barely touch and rub on the plastic intake plentum. Once you get the socket it is easier than the traditional way.

[/quote]

+1 on the shallow socket