EDGE network unusually slow lately? (AT&T)

Since I got my iphone (right after the price drop, last year) and until about a week ago I was able to stream XM via Orb.com. For the past week I noticed a dramatic difference in it’s ability to stream audio. Not just from orb either. I used to be able to stream Mp3’s online through it as well, but now it takes more time to buffer it than it does to play it, so it’s pretty much impossible to do anymore.

Does anyone here work for AT&T or has anyone else noticed it?

:frowning:

does this mean ur not listening to O&A much :tear:

yeah, it really blows. I can listen for 10 seconds at a time then has to buffer or whatever for 20 seconds :tdown:

this wont work for you…will it?

http://www.xstreamxm.com/mobile

im guessing NO since its an iPhone

do you know what format it streams in?

thanks for the link :tup:

i actually do not to be honest.

eh, just tried it… of course it doesn’t work, why would it? Stupid crapple phone

thx anyway

damn…

:frowning:

tried to search to see if there was any other ways…and it just seems that using ORB is the only way :confused:

it’s cool man, thanks for the effort. I’m guessing AT&T is getting too much data traffic these days and capped the bandwidth or something. Wish we had open wifi here

3g is streaming fine :slight_smile:

thanks for the link

I am sure they are diverting resources for the 3G iPhone release.

yeah they beefed up edge with a lot of extra resources when the iphone launched, theyre starting to transition all of that backbone to 3G now. This is one of the reasons i sold my iphone earlier this week on egay. got $480, picked up a blackjack II for $69, and im actually a lot happier. If i decide to get the 3G, im still ahead of the game.

so I take it you noticed a difference as well?

wtf? ATT blows… way to leave your customers swinging in the wind.

So you really like the BJII? And where did you get it for $70? Upgrade your contract?

I’m thinking of going BJI to a BJII for the time being.

eh, the iphone is really the only major phone they have that still uses edge. once the 3g one launches id rather see the capacity go to the 3G users, so that everyone doesnt end up with edge speeds.

other than having to buy a stereo bluetooth headset because of the gay proprietary port instead of a headphone jack, I do. First WM device i’ve ever used that wasnt slow as hell and hasnt frozen yet. I have a Premier account (participating employer) so I get unlimited upgrades, I just have to restart the contract on one of my lines (if I upgrade a week after buying the previous phone, it only adds a week to my contract)

aren’t they 2 totally different technologies though? never really researched them

HSDPA/HSUPA are subsets of UMTS (3G data - WCDMA). Edge is 2.75G (GPRS is 2.5G) but they are part of GSM extended data standards. Technically they are “compatible” because they use the same frequency band that ATT broadcasts but the standards are two different as far as multiplexing data, etc…

The network is being restructured to make 3G more better.

Did you have the 16gig or the 8gig iPhone? Was it unlocked?

I’d really like to dump mine before the new one comes out, before it’s worth 50 bucks. lol