ef civic bogging?

i found a 1989 civic si for a pretty good price. owner states the problem with it is at highway speeds the car starts to “bog” i guess. i have not been able to see this car personally and it is a bit of a drive. he tried replacing the fuel filter and his catalytic converter. any ideas what the problem is?

just while cruising, or while accelerating?

edit:
check the map sensor. thats a high vac low tps situation. its possible if the map sensor is “off”, or even if the tps is f’d, it is reading the decel value on the fuel map.

Timing off?
Distributor?

Im gonna say its spark related.

it could also be a coolant temp sensor, it was the case for the same symtoms on all three of my dad’s vehicles

hondas dont do that.

i would say the timing or spark is the issue. and why buy a crappy one when u can just buy mine?

real descriptive thread title btw

a bad coolant temp sensor would make it idle like shit as well.

like john said
just while cruising, or while accelerating
check the map sensor. thats a high vac low tps situation. its possible if the map sensor is “off”, or even if the tps is f’d, it is reading the decel value on the fuel map.

now if it was while accelerating it would be the dizzy that is shot …and just need a new one

now good thing with the ef there are about 35 motors that i know of right now that you can get for less then 100 or just swap it for less then 800 and call it a day but def nothing related to timing if it drives fine and at highway speeds fails…best thing to do if you dont want to go out there ask the guy to pull the map plug then drive it around may work …if it does get a new map or even he could try the TPS plug to … or if your getting a good deal and its clean just pick it up :gotme:

a bad temp sencor could also lead to not starting once warm … ask if he has a problem with starting after a long drive

yea it’s clean no rust w/rebuilt d16 for about a grand. he’ll probably fix it if it’ll help the sale so thtas why i’m asking, and i don’t have the resources at my new place to do it myself. i’ll post up whether it happens while cruising or accelerating when i hear back from him. all he told me initially was that it drives perfect around the city, but has trouble on the highway. thanks for the input so far guys.