Elderly License Retesting?

I don’t think it should just be ‘elderly testing’

I think it should be re-testing EVERYONE on some regular interval (5 or 10 years or something).

Thought about this in the car on the ride in to work. I think they should at least add Thruway driving to the test. Pretty much 90% of commuting I think is on the 90/290/190 etc. Other states do it, I think it should be implemented in NY.

I dont quite agree with that but maybe if you were a cause of an accident or traffic violation you should be retested.
I do agree that the eldery should be retested once they hit a certain age or what I mentioned above…and female asians should be tested every other year.

fixed

I say everyone should be retested every X number of years.

Also, if you only retest once, how do you define the age at which a person becomes elderly. My Grandfather is sharp as a tack at 75 years old. Some people at that age are FAR beyond the point where they should have stopped driving.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

How does that PREVENT accidents though? Isn’t the whole point of retesting to prevent accidents? You need to be pro-active, not re-active.

I would agree with this but whats old? i think the youngsters texting wihile drive scares me more than old people.
never happen tho the state is so strapped for cash right now. although new driving test every 5 years after age 50 would bring in money

EVERYONE should be retested except white men under the age of 70.

Yes, but everyone pisses me off on the road…

I’ll give credit to women on cell phones texting… I can’t multitask, but they got that shit down… I unlock my phone and feel like thats enough time to crash.

What good does testing do? They test to make sure you use your turn signals and can parallel park, not make sure you don’t talk on your cell phone while doing 55 in the left lane with a beer in the cup holder. They don’t test to ensure that you can merge onto a highway without being a retard, or move into the turning lane when turning left on Sheridan.

Testing is already pointless. Why do it more often?

^^The fine for texting should be at least $10,000 but, that’s another topic.

^Look closer at my post. :smiley:

I definitely vote no. As soon as you start retesting the elderly it’s a short step to retesting everyone every 5 years and I sure as shit have better things to do than prove I can parallell park and pay $100 dollars every 5 years. And what if you can drive safely, but fuck up the parallel park and fail your test. Suddenly you can’t get to work, take the kids to their soccer games, go get groceries, etc.

This is a terrible idea. You all seem to think that retesting would somehow make the roads safer but you’re not stopping to think how that would really work. Go deeper. Think back to your road test. Does anything you had to do have any relation whatsoever to the safe driving habits you have developed??? Ever see a horrible teenage driver that has a license? All the damn time right? Right?

Perhaps they can adapt the test for the concerns of elderly people driving. Like reaction times, sight, etc…

You can’t really compare bad teenage drivers and bad elderly drivers. The difference with a horrible teenage driver who has a license is that horrible teenage driver is capable of driving safely but chooses not to. Those real bad elderly drivers would have a lot harder time passing the standard road test because it’s not a matter of just slowing down and paying more attention for them. At least not for the real bad ones you want to take off the road.

I agree though, parallel parking should not be part of the re-test (or original test for that matter). I know plenty of people who are perfectly safe drivers who haven’t parallel parked since their road tests.

Agreed with the 2 posts above me…The tests should be more comprehensive

old people vote, young people don’t /thread

If you can’t see over the steering wheel, you shouldn’t have a license. If your eyesight is so bad you can’t read signs you shouldn’t drive. If you are constantly driving under the speed limit, you should drive. If your reaction time has diminished and you can’t properly react to traffic situations then your shouldn’t be driving. My road test was basically drive around the block use some signals and parallel park.

If they did make it so everyone had to be retested every 10 years or so I could see it passing more easily since it’s not like they’re “going after” the old. I’m fine with doing that assuming they’re not going to be as strict as the intial test. Bascially if you possess some basic driving skills you pass.

lol that would be useful. Every 10 years we all have to pay a fee and take a half day off from work to prove that we can turn left and right, just so that that one person out of every 10,000 loses their license. They’ll probably still drive anyway but at least we all pay more money and have more government interference in our lives.

Well when you look at it that way it does sound pretty shitty. :lol: