Elderly License Retesting?

Saw this on News 4 and wanted to see what you guys thought. Personally my grandpa had a stroke years ago and has since lost a lot of use of his right side. He can still move around but has trouble doing so. He is still driving however, and it’s kinda scary.

News Article/Video:

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/erie/Petition-aims-to-have-elderly-drivers-re-tested

Online Petition:

Yes, way too many old fogies on the road who can’t drive.

yes
GTFO of my way and stop doing 10-15 mph UNDER the speed limit.

if you make a law that says “old people have to proove they can drive all over again” then said old people, who are retired and have jack shit to do all day, will fight it dentures and nails all the way

but yea, retest the old fucks.

Yep…been thinking they should do this for years now. My grandma would drive somewhere and come home with a different color paint down the side of her car and have no idea what happened…I think it happened about 4 or 5 times before someone decided it was time to actually make her stop driving.

YES!

I think EVERYONE should be tested every so often. Some idiots never actually learn how to drive after passing their road test.

the problem, is retesting them probably wont do anything, since when your doing your drivers test you usually dont go right at the speed limit anyways, and they are just driving ‘cautious’.

unless they have pop quizes in the middle of the test, or have them stop the car, get out to get a cup of coffee at a gas station and see if they still remember where reverse and drive are.

Nothing saying the new test will be like the current one. It should be more of a ‘at speed in traffic’ test anyways, not if you can signal and parallel park.

Yes, I think they should. Would help my company out a lot. Plus I know my grandfather just lost his license due to eye sight, but I wonder how many others should but don’t.

The aarp will never let this pass.

Test the old bastards already. I’m surprised the state isn’t doing it yet considering the money it will bring in.

While were at it, test everyone to see if they can drive no more than 10 under the speed limit when it’s snowing…

Definitely. Slow drivers are a nuisance, but it’s the ones complete oblivious to everything around them that need to lose it. I can’t count the number of times I’ve almost hit some old person pulling right out in front of me, or drifting into my lane. I knew a lady that was mentally gone and in a home, and STILL DRIVING. She got lost for 2 hours going to Tops. It’s a mile away on the same street. Did I mention she was almost legally blind? She wouldn’t give up her license or car, but her daughter convinced her not to drive it, so we gave her a fake key to be sure she kept her word.

the way to get it passed is by making it a mandatory retest every so many years for people of all ages similar to most other privliges. you arent allowed to preform cpr or sell houses without retesting so why not driving as well. but i do think if it is targeted solely at the elderly there isnt a chance in hell that the aarp would let it pass.

needs to be done but wont happen specifically for the elderly

in addition, send all of them to dent tower to have it checked too

i vote yes, but in reality, they give anyone a license, the written test is a joke, it dosent even pertain to driving.

there was 6 Yes 6 questions on a 30 question test about everything you need to know to drive, that all were about the handicap placard and handicap parking spots, and if you could still use the spot if you had the handicapped persons car, but they were not with you.

the road test is worse, you can fail 3 things in the 5 minute test (all it takes is 5 minutes beginning to end, i timed it) and still pass.
Like i said, my ex, the worlds worse driver, failed it like 5 times after i took her first license for crashing her car 6 times in 3 months.

she still isnt licensed, thank fuck.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

oh also, due to everyone in here who drives too fast anyways.

I HATE being stuck behind someone going 15 under in the fast lane, with idiots who are keeping pace in the slow lane.
However, the speed limit LIMIT. isnt the desired travel speed for all motorists, it is the max allowable, so technically, they arent in the wrong.

However when grama is looking THRU the steeringwheel, she can get the fuck outta dodge.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

I HATE being stuck behind someone going 15 under in the fast lane, with idiots who are keeping pace in the slow lane.
However, the speed limit LIMIT. isnt the desired travel speed for all motorists, it is the max allowable, so technically, they arent in the wrong.

However when grama is looking THRU the steeringwheel, she can get the fuck outta dodge.

Do away with licensing altogether. What difference would it make? How many adults do you know without a license? None? Me too. Imagine how much money and hassle we would save with no DMV…

I’m more for gps in phones making them unusable at speed.