Electical Issues in s14

Hey all…
I’ve got a few small electrical issues which seems to be from the past owners awesome home install of a remote starter. There are a few things that are just messed, but need to be fixed before I can get it safetied and road legal…

Problem #1:
There is no neutral safety switch. I can start the car in gear, or out of gear, does not matter. Also doesn’t matter if clutch is engaged or not. I remeber when I got it home he had some wierd setup with like infrared lights on the shift knob, which told the remote starter it was in neutral, and I’m assuming because he had that he jumped the neutral safety switch somewhere. Where do the wires from the neutral safety switch go, what color are they, ect.

Problem #2:
Windshield wipers… I’ve basically figured out the main problem, the wiper motor is not getting any power whatsoever to wiper motor terminal 2, top middle. When I plug a power wire into there, everything works fine, intermittent, slow, fast, washer, ect. In the FSM it says power comes from fuse block 16 to the terminal, there is power at the fuse block 16, but none at the terminal… What color would these wires be? Where could I wire up a temp solution easily where power would only be supplied when ignition is on…

Problem #3:
My Parking Brake Light does not come off… I can take off the console and push in the switch, and the light on the dash visibly dims when I do that, but it does not come off, it just dims, and it’s the only light on the dash that does dim. This one isn’t too big of a deal, but I’d like it fixed…

Problem #4:
I’m getting codes 82 and 34, crank position sensor and knock sensor respectively. Is there any way I can test these, the cps looks freaking impossible to get at at the back of the motor, as does the knock sensor…

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks so much!

I thought that s14’s had a bypass system so you could start it without pressing the clutch in to prolong clutch life. . .

As for the codes, I had that too. Alberta Drivelines put in a new tranny for me but ripped my 02 sensor, so it was throwing things outta wack. I bought a new knock sensor (fuggen $$) and an ngk 02 sensor, still have to install it, but that should fix things.

But it still shouldn’t let you start it in gear… That’s the problem…

1. what year is you car? im pretty sure that theres only a neutral safety switch in 96+
    my car can be started without the clutch pushed in and in any gear. ive got a 9.

2. according to the fsm, the wiper power wire is LG, light green.
    dont want to find the broken wire? theres a fuse box above your battery. pick a wire with power. i’d probly use the wire off the fusible link for the power windows.

3. want to check your cp sensor? i’d suggest finding someone that has access to a scan tool, hooking it up, and seeing what it tells you. or you can remove the sensor and check the resistance of it, but it sounds like you dont want to go that route.

and the knock sensor code is pretty common. this doesnt really affect the way your car drives, though. in other cars, this would retard the timing of the engine, but in older nissan cars, it doesnt affect power much, if at all. mines been malfunctioning for 2 years now. i havent noticed any power loss whatsoever.

Oh sorry, yes it’s a 95 s14. I don’t see any way whatsoever they would sell a vehicle without either a clutch or neutral safety switch… It’s a part of the Sask. safety inspection, and I thought every vehicle had to have it…
I just wanted to find a wire with power that was only on with ignition, so it wouldn’t drain the battery, but would it anyways hooked to a live wire?

Oh and there is also a cracked wire on the coil plug, I’m not sure where it goes. Could that be the CP sensor? I’d just like to get the check engine light off really is the biggest thing…

hehe, my check engine light has been on for almost 2 years now. . . hopefully won’t be next month tho. . . surprised it hasn’t burnt out yet :stuck_out_tongue: