End to muscle cars?

this is kind of a piggy back from the other thread bout the zr1 but explains more bout the supposed death of the muscle car… will it happen?

Tougher Emissions Regulations Could Bring End to Muscle Cars, Says GM

Thursday, December 20, 2007
http://www.foxnews.com/images/service_ap_36.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/images/331385/2_61_320corv.jpg AP/GM

Dec. 20: The 2009 Corvette ZR1, the fastest, most powerful automobile ever produced by General Motors may be the last in a tradition of muscle cars.

DETROIT — When General Motors Corp. pulls the cover off a new supercharged version of the Corvette at the Detroit auto show next month, it will unveil a performance car designed to rival or better even the fastest, most expensive exotic cars from Europe.
But the Corvette’s chief engineer says the 2009 Corvette ZR1 may be the last in a long tradition of Detroit performance cars, endangered by stronger federal fuel economy regulations and limits on carbon dioxide emissions.
“High-performance vehicles such as this may actually be legislated out of existence,” Tadge Juechter said at a recent showing of the ZR1, which is designed to have around 620 horsepower.
President Bush on Wednesday signed into law legislation that will bring more fuel-efficient vehicles into auto showrooms and require wider use of ethanol, calling it “a major step” toward energy independence and easing global warming.
The legislation requires automakers to increase fuel efficiency by 40 percent to an industry average 35 miles per gallon by 2020.
But Juechter said to sell one of the Chevrolet supercars, GM would need to offset that with cars that get 45 mpg.
“It could really be an endangered species,” he said.

Aaron Bragman, an auto analyst with the consulting firm Global Insight, said predicting the death of the muscle car might be premature.
The Corvette, he said, is fuel efficient when compared with its competitors. Although fuel economy figures weren’t released for the ZR1, the current 505-horsepower Corvette ZO6 gets an estimated 15 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway, according to GM.
The ZR1, he said, gets around the same mileage as a Chevrolet pickup truck, and GM won’t be getting out of the pickup business because of gas mileage standards.
“I think it’s a little over-dramatization,” Bragman said. “GM wants to sell big, high-performance, fun cars. And typically that’s what Americans want to buy.”
Performance cars of the future may be powered by smaller engines or electric motors, he said, but they won’t die.
The ZR1 will have a top speed of more than 200 mph, driven by an all-new supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 engine. It has 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels and a suspension tuned to provide extraordinary cornering grip, GM said.
The car has a carbon-fiber hood, fenders and roof for weight savings, and its huge carbon-ceramic brake rotors give it great stopping power, the company said.
The ZR1 will cost around $100,000 and probably will go on sale next summer.

How many $100k ZR-1’s is Chevy going to sell? I’m sure the millions of little compacts they sell by 2020 would make up for it.

Even if they don’t, does the buyer if a 100k ZR-1 care if it’s hit with a 5k gas guzzler tax?

The Corvette’s a muscle car now?

its american and has high hp… i didnt figure it either, but i say great timing for the camaro and challenger to come out now… whats gonna happen with those

“I think it’s a little over-dramatization,” Bragman said. “GM wants to sell big, high-performance, fun cars. And typically that’s what Americans want to buy.”

That’s what’s going to happen with those. If they have to supplant cars with turbos, electric motors or make them run on E85, that’s what thet’ll do. If the market wants performance, they’ll get it from one source or another.

-edit- yeah that sounded pricky. I just think it’s too early to tell.

but e85 gets HORRIBLE mileage… at least it does for MY truck… its not really cost effective to put 85 in there cause it avg out to almost the same

Yeah, I know. I mean that whatever route, or combination of routes the automakers have to take (and this is all of them, domestic and import), they’ll do it. The Lexus hybrids are a good example.

Performance may drop off a bit, but it won’t disappear, IMO

this is the same predicament that happened in the 70’s. high gas prices and thirsty cars are a horrible combination.

Im sorry corvettes are not muscle cars they are sports cars. Muscle cars are big detroit steel and mopar hit the nail on the head back in the day. Camaros and Mustangs where never muscle to me, more a sport car. From chevy came the chevelle/monte carlo and from ford came the galaxy/torino. Big heavy and fast = muscle.

Great, so the retro craze for cars will be slow big land yachts then :frowning:

its all hype…power may suffer for a few years but wont be done…they American car co. will just need a couple years to develop the smllar motors/electric/boosted…and poof u have ur power and fuel economy…shit who knows u may see a S/C v6 vette after this new ZR1 comes out…i doubt it though

Pay to play.

1.) Muscle cars died 35 years ago.
2.) GM’s just trying to build hype for the new Vette.
3.) Cars will always get faster.

Why worry about it? There are ways to get what you want, as long as you want to pay or get dirty for it.

I thought that muscle car = big block in a small car?

The TRUE musclecar died in 1971/72/73 with the gas crisis.
Auto manufacturers dabble in a performance model, but it’s not the same. Back then you could get a performance engine in almost every model of car they put out. Now it’s a limited production, high priced car.

So to say now we are having a musclecar era, is technically wrong. There will be a Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang. That hardly constitutes an era with only a few models. And while there have been sports cars ever since Corvette in 1953, it’s still not the same as a musclecar.

Musclecar = performance vehicle with high hp motor, suspension, etc that is usually upgraded from a bone stock base model and comes in many flavors

Sportscar = two seater, high horsepower

To expand on that, a true muscle car is an intermediate-sized coupe or hardtop with a big-cube V8 engine. Therefore, a Galaxie is not a true muscle car (full-size), nor a Mustang (pony car) or Vette (sportscar.)

It’s the same thing when people call a 350Z a sport compact. like, really? :bloated:

I’m gonna cry…the world will be over run with ricers and rediculous wings :frowning:

Fixed.
For reference see the LS6 Chevelle SS.

more V6 models?