Engine cuts out at 5000rpm?

Hey so I was driving around yesterday and decided to drop a gear to pass someone on the highway… Well, I was going fine until 5000 rpms and then it was like I hit the governer thats at 180 and my engine just cut out, only problem was that my RPMs just kept dying until eventually hitting 0, and there was nothing I could do to bring them back up. Only thing I could do was turn off the car and start it back up again…

A friend told me I needed new battery terminals (mine are pretty bad, lots of corrosion) but I wasn’t sure if this would help or not so I decided to come on here and get some more advice!

Can anyone help?!

so you were racing around at 180km and hit the govenor? and it cut the revs?

hmmm did you let the speed drop? BECAUSE the car is governed at 180, it won’t let you go past it.

let the speed drop below and then it’ll rev again. but the car will not go past 180 unless you disable the speed sensor.

errr no it doesn’t matter what speed I’m going, it’ll just cut out!
in first gear if I run it to 5000 rpms then it’ll cut out on me just like it does when you hit 180, only it won’t start back up again unless I turn the car off :frowning:

Im pretty sure there something wrong with the system… Im not sure about this someone can correct me but I don’t think its a speed sensor that governs speed. I think its at a certain rpm in 5th gear. which is around 5000 like he said… In my s13 it doesn’t matter how fast I’m going, I could be parked. If i put it into 5th with the clutch depressed, It cuts out at 5000 rpm or so when I floor the gas… like a rev limiter… I think that hows this speed limiter works by cutting out at a certain rpm in 5th gear. So the system could be messed up on your car where its cutting out in every gear past 5000 rpm… as to it dying I don’t know wtf is going on it should just die for a second and get back up. As to what I was saying if I’m right wouldn’t there be a way to unplug something to let your car not sense your in 5th or going about a certain rpm… so your wouldn’t have to get the greddy speed cutout chip.

it has nothing to do with the km/h… i think your termanals if they are corroded mite have something to do…but it mite also be looking at a fuel pump. as for your motor wants to push past 5 but cant hold the fuel/air.
as for it being a rpm in 5th. that can be true… i have a sr swaped and have no km/h cut. i can go till the motor maxs’… is it a cut or more of your car “bucking” like a minor shake that wont let you go furhter? If its more like a shake, not a straight rpm drop you mite consider a fuel pump/fuel filter. even a intake can hold you back. this is only suggestions. for your best plan is to check your fuel system and see if your not leaning out at high rpm. wideband?? or even a narrow band to show wtf is up.

btw im no pro just tryin to help yooo jazz :slight_smile:

yea thats cuz u changed to an sr… Im talking about the stock KA with ecu… im pretty sure it runs off the rpm in 4th and 5th… anyone know for sure?

Your ECU’s in limp mode and usually it’s the cause of a malfunctioning sensor.

I experience this in the rain and have narrowed it down to one of my transmission sensors. Other people have suggest that it’s my MAF.

Limp mode is basically the ECU reading erroneous data and protecting your engine from pre-detonation. I’ve heard that while in this mode that your car will run a little rich… but again, I’ve only heard and don’t know what maps are used.

Good Luck with your repair.

does ur speedometre work? if it is malfunctioning at all like sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt than this is ur problem. I had the same thing happent to me when my speedo didnt work. its because nissan/datsun have a booby trap ECU when the speedo doesnt work it cuts out the rpms at certain revs. U just need to replace it with another stock speedo. it can be had for like $20

Guys this thread is really old i just brought it up againt to get a question answered im sure he’s already been helped…

I guess you wanted to show that you used the search function?

yes;) and that still my question has not been fully addressed…

my stock ka s13 limits at 5000rpm in every gear, is that normal? How can I disable that?

Lol I dont think thats normal

i was just thinking about this.

How is theair intake? if its sooo dirty. you wont be able to get the air for high rpm??

just shootin an offer. could be something that simple :slight_smile:

LOL i will read more next time sorry for effin your thread up

Don’t apologize! This isn’t his thread…