Engine Problem

Hey guys I’am having some problems with my ka24e whenever i start it, it shakes runs like its not getting something like gas or something and when put into drive or anything either than park it shakes more than turns off if not the throttle is let go of. Also if your not stepping on the throttle it will turn off after about 10 seconds before being warmed up but if warmed up it will run and still shake and etc. I have people saying it can be something with the fuel lines or pump or injectors or it just may need a tune up which I’am in the process of doing, also some say it can be a worn out piston ring, sooo i need someone with experience in this problem or just general experience with 240sx’s to come by to my house in etobicoke and tell me whats wrong with my car.

Its a 1990 240sx hatchback.

Let me know, Thanks!

bad spark plugs possibly flooding. u prolly just need a tune up

Well I’m still learning but your symptoms do sound like your engine is being starved of at least one of the essential operating parameters.I most definitely agree with giving your car a tune up (cap and rotor if it has it, plugs and wires) Also if you are doing this yourself then look closely at the spark plugs when you remove them…if you know what to look for they can tell you alot about whats going on inside your engine. So then here is some basic troubleshooting procedures for you to try. If it is chugging bad and you have to give it gas to keep it running it is obviously getting air and fuel ( could possibly need more on the fuel end ) When you rev it does it starve out and stall? If so then I would look into the fuel filter (because it’s cheap, and as long as you use lots of penatrant oil it should be fairly easy to change yourself) and the fuel pump as a clogged filter will kill off the life span of a pump in no time. You can check this by attaching a pressure gauge to the end of your fuel rail and there should be a schrader valve for you to thread onto, again I’m not sure of the specifics for the 240 but the average fuel injection system makes about 40-50 psi and holds it steady throughout the rpm range (keep in mind it will dip a bit when you start it) also it should maintain this pressure for at least 15-25 seconds after you shut the vehicle off. After that a compression test wouldn’t hurt either, it is a non-invasive way to evaluate the condition of the internals. if the problem continues and you have replaced all the wires and such then it’s time to check your timing. If your timing is off it will present during the compression test too, the reason I mention this is because I had a car that snapped the cam and the only way to keep it running was to flog the gas. If you require further assistance PM me and I can get you specs from my work ( A little more in depth then the haynes manuals, though they are a good start)

Good luck, grasshopper......

Eric