Engine Rebuild

Hey guys

I figured with all of the KA builds and all, you guys would know the best place to go to for an Engine rebuild.

Who would be the best person to bring my block and heads too to get the work done. Also talk to about the proper setup for the engine. I don’t want some super expensive place either if possible.

What I am looking for is an engine that’s just over 200 WHP. It comes stock as 155 so shouldn’t be hard I hope.

I just want to figure out a way to cheaply and reliably get that horsepower with out a turbo. A turbo will add an extra 2000 over and above the price of the rebuild.

I am tired of high mileage motors and I want a little extra kick to my girl.

Thanks

You most likely wont hit the 200whp mark cheaply without a turbo,…especially if someone else is doing the work. By the time you add up all the money you’ve spent on parts and paying them…you’d pretty much be at the price of an SR. If KA-T is your thang, check out KA-T.org. Lots of good stuff on there.

Also, your engine only has one head lol.

I am doing the work my self but somethings I need the machine shop to take care of like the bore and decking the heads so on.

To rebuild to a KA-T you Need new rods new low compression pistons. Then cams, Exhaust manifold, down pipe, turbo, piping, cooling and blah blah blah… Keep in mind I am not doing a half a&sed job. I want a proper rebuild where all the components work correctly with each other. That’s why I don’t want a turbo there is no such thing as a cheep well done turbo.

If I got an SR I would want that rebuilt too. so again its no less expensive.

I want an engine that is almost like new again.

Well, if your going to rebuild the KA anyways, you can put lower compression pistons in it…etc etc. With NA, there is no cheap way for the KA to grace the 200whp mark. Someone did it,…I think it was greaser on Zilvia.net…and that was most certainly was not cheap. If you want to stick with the KA, here’s two great links to make sure you realize what it’s going to take to get you to your goal.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4156
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4156

As far as machine shops go…call around. Personally I deal with Ideal Supply.

Fast, cheap or reliable…pick two. Hope this helps, happy wrenching!

yo! kevin… i know the best place in the whole fucking area… LOL
send me a pm… ill give the info…

If your doing a complete rebuild, expect to spend 1500-2000$. Your better off going SR, CA, or RB. 50hp on your KA wont make much of a difference, might as well throw in a light weight flywheel, short shifter, and an intake to make more of a difference.

My 0.002$

An n/a ka isn’t cheap at all.

Rebuilt Ka which is then turboed or a rebuilt sr, will still be way cheaper and have more power.

If you have the unlimited budget then do it. Otherwise don’t.

My main goal is to have a low millage engine. I have owned 4 cars and all of them have over 240, 000 KM on them. Kinda tired of old half burnt out engine. So I don’t want an other engine to rebuild back to new cos that’s 2000+ for the engine then 3000 for the rebuild that’s 5000 cheep…

I have a extra KA I am going to put the work into. but before I do I need to talk to someone and figure out what I need to get what i want out of it. This is why I want to go to a machine shop that knows these types of engines and get some advice on what internal setup will work best with out spending over 3000.

Thanks for the links I will check it out.

First you said you wanted 200+hp without a turbo on your ka. Now your goal is just to have a rebuilt, newish, motor… What do you want? Your confusing us. If you want 200+ hp on a NA KA its going to cost you lots of dough. If you just want a rebuilt motor, just build it OEM, get OEM pistons, rings, OEM gasket set, etc. It shouldn’t cost to much. But most people we rebuild go turbo eventually.

This is why I want a shop so I can talk to someone that has done this before. I know the basics of rebuilding an engine. but I am unclear of the details. If i replace one thing should something else get replaced too? And in the end how much will all of this produce at the wheels? I just want someone that can go over these things with me and say if you get this part mixed with that part you will produce this… It would be nice to have 200 HP but if its going to cost me 6000+ dollars to add an extra 45WHP to my car then I wont do it.

The engine is getting a full rebuild but I want better then stock performance. I’m looking to spend 2-3000 and get a stronger engine in the end.

For that kind of coin, your goal would be easy with a turbo. It’s really not that complex…the fact of whether or not it’s going to last after it’s been assembled is all in the tune (provided that it’s assembled correctly). If you want to just go to a shop and spend money for someone to tell you whats what…don’t expect to do so on a budget. If you want those numbers for that money, read those links. Investigate, ask questions. You’ll only be more well informed in the end.

Oh, and the shop your looking for would be an engine machinist. Machinists know metal, tolerances, cutters, welding and pretty much everything you would need to know about fabricating anything, ever. An engine machinist is someone specifically trained in the tolerances and workings of engines, that’s all they do. Thats who you want.